Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th (Regular) Infantry Division memoirs sought

WilliamRev

A  few months ago I requested help finding autobiographies and memoirs relating to the 3rd Division in in the Great War, and forum members came up with quite a few that I had never come across, for which I am most grateful.

Now, what I think is a slightly harder challenge. I have completely failed to come up with any memoirs that relate to the (British) 6th Infantry Division. Are there any? Can anyone on the forum help me please?

Thanks, William .

Edited by WilliamRev

'A Personal Record' by Mottram (9th Norfolks) in 'Three Personal Records of the War' pub. 1929;

'Denis Oliver Barnett:In |Happy Memory..letters 1914-15' (2/Leinsters, dow 16.8.15), privately printed 1915;

'Stand To'-Hitchcock (2/Leinsters),pub. 1937, reprinted in recent years by N&M;

'A life well lived: a memoir of James Wood Colin Taylor', 2/Sherwood Foresters, kia 8.1915, pub. 1915; 'A soldier of the 6th Division' Brookbank, pub.c.2017 -machine gunner.

Hope this helps.

Michael

' The front line and beyond it  ' J. A Sillitoe-Hill -1st K.S.L.I

' At war with the 16th Irish Division '  J. Staniforth - 2nd Leinster Regt (1918)

Michael and Black Maria - many thanks indeed for all of these. I have a copy of Hitchcock's Stand To, but had forgotten that 2nd Leinsters did not join the 24th Division until October 1915.

If there are any more then please keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks, William

Looking at the comings and goings of the various battalions in the 6th Division on the LLT site I see that the 19th Brigade joined for a short time ,

so you could include Old Soldiers Never Die ( 2nd Royal Welsh Fusiliers ) .I've only just started to keep a list of the various battalions the different

memoir writers served in as I read their books so I'm sure there may be a few more . One problem seems to be, fitting the time frame of the author's

service into the battalion's service with the division , easy with a unit that stayed permanently like the K.S.L.I but harder with the Leinsters who had left

by 1918 ( so the second book I mentioned doesn't count) .

The source of most of my information was a 1988 vintage Bertram Rota catalogue, which, very helpfully, has an index for the books it had in stock then,by unit, which I found immensely helpful when researching 24th Division ( in which Hitchcock served). The Brookbank memoir, which I reviewed for the WFA, is unfortunately only a relatively small part of that book, but it does include service with 6th Division in the later war, unlike other memoirs I referred to. Unfortunately, I  passed my copy on to my son in Essex, so can't check out the detail.

Lord Moran's 'The Anatomy of Courage' is not strictly  a memoir, but often refers to his experiences serving with 1/Royal Fusiliers in 6th Division  and later 24th Division.

Michael

Thanks for the further contributions. I too realised earlier today that since 19 Brigade was part of 6th Division for a while, I could include Old Soldiers Never Die and The War the Infantry knew in my list.

William

Wearing Spurs by John Reith, Royal Engineer officer who went on ti become founding governor of the BBC in 1922.