Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

194 Siege Battery RGA

mutley

Can any pal tell we where the 194th Siege Battery RGA was during April and May 1917? I believe that they may have been attached to the 1st ANZAC Corps.

Any pointers welcome, thanks

Mutley

Mutley,

From 4 to 19 Apr 194 were positioned at Morchies. From 20 to 30 Apr and the first weeks of May at a position on the road South of Maricourt Wood. Following a change of HAG on 14.5.17 (from the 14 HAG to 77 HAG) they moved to a position within 1000 yards forward of the village of Le Don shelling Messines.

Rgds Paul

There is no surviving war diary. But there are for both of the HAGs I mentioned. You do not say why you wanted to know, but no OR names are mentioned in those months.

Paul

thanks, I'm researching a chap who was awarded the MM and later commissioned. He may be a distant relation on the wife's side. Just trying to understand what he may have been doing. He joined up in August 14 but remained in the U.K. until 194 deployed to France in November 1916 and then was commissioned in February 1918.

Such a shame that these diaries don't exist.

thanks

Mutley

Hi Mutley ,

Yes , I agree its a shame the Battery WD's don't exist . I have had the same problem with trying to research a chap local to me who served in the RGA . Ororkep put me on to the HAG diaries , which I found very useful for position's , movements and targets . So may be worth a look .

All the best with the research.

Martin

Martin,

Thanks, I'll see if I can find them. The chap I'm researching left 194 in June of 1917 and returned to the UK for officer training at Pembroke College, Cambridge. He was commissioned in February 1918 but I don't know where he went as an officer.

thanks

Mutley

Yes, that's him, I bought them on the off chance he is a distant relation. Might be miles off the mark but at least the research is interesting.