Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Graves Registration Units & Labour Search Units

Perth Digger

I'm reading a book on the SOE in Albania in WW2 and noticed that the GRUs working in the region from 1944 onwards kept War Diaries. Did the GRUs in WW1 do likewise? If so, would they be available on-line like other unit War Diaries?

Thanks

Mike

Thanks, Jay. I've certainly never seen them in references.

Mike

• Admin

I volunteer at the CWGC and have been involved in scanning documents for them. The most recent one has been a diary written by 'officers' of the GRU covering 1914 and on into 1915 (so far). I've scanned past the date in March when they joined the military (hence why 'officers' in quotes - they were just men & gentlemen before then!). It's fascinating to read....

As for when they will be available on the CWGC site - there's about a 6 month delay before what we're scanning now is online. So it's getting there! 

As I say - I'm just a volunteer, so views and comments are mine alone, not the CWGC!

Well I’ll be, thanks for the links David and likewise for the heads up from Le Treport 

J

There’s the details of registered graves in a few of the Aussie Battalion Diaries (WW1) and one of the Division Diaries, plus a diary of a Padre giving approximate burial locations of soldiers during battle.  Plenty of information in Unit Diaries regarding the burial of the deceased and graves, instructions for identity discs to be left on remains, etc. Not Grave Registration Unit Diaries but certainly they contain plenty of interesting details. All found on AWM site.

There’s plenty of ‘personal’ accounts of GRU staff that can be found online too.

The 700 plus page inquiry into the conduct of the GRU found on the NAA website is an eye opener if you haven’t heard of nor read that. 

There’s a trove of burial (during battle) information hidden in Aussie Brigade and Division Diaries, I need to refer to them constantly for studies.

I will check the main site at Library & Archives Canada and see if I can find the one Mike referenced. I had never heard of it!

There is one Canadian one here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/bc4da1d6e2534a0c89860f4150c53be8 which can be downloaded.

Got a basic hit but it appears limited, if this is all there is - that I don't know at this point.

Searched for:

9-52 AND War Graves Detachment

Edited by laughton

Thanks for all these comments.

Le Treport: can you please give me a little more information on what you've been scanning? I'm particularly interested in the missing of 1914 and early 1915 when nothing had been formalized and GRUs not officially set up. Do you know if the CWGC is preparing to scan letters from family members regarding the missing? I was told a few years ago that letters in personal files were not open to the public.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger

Mike,

Are you focusing on British records only?

Yes, I am, initially on the original BEF's officers. My interest is focused on those officers who vanished, ie, those who not only were declared missing, of which there many thousands, but the smaller number whose fate was never ascertained and had to be officially presumed dead. There were more than 4000 BEF officers officially presumed dead during the war. At the moment I am concentrating on the officers who vanished up to 31 December 1914 (about 250). During these months the searches for the missing and dead were very ad hoc.

Mike