Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

what British Cavalry Regiment? 5th DGs?

downshill

The photo below says on back Cavalry leaving barracks 1914.I am guessing these guys are 5th Dragoon Guards as they have a star type cap badge but what looks like a horse of Hanover over a regimental title badge  on the shoulder strap ,which was part of their regimental symbolism .Any opinions 

scan0145.jpg

I forgot to mention it says location Aldershot 

Well, the 5th DG were at Aldershot (1st Cavalry Brigade) so the location works.  Can you zoom in on the badges?

pos 5th dg.jpg

reminds me a bit of Benedict Cumberbatch ,what I take to be horse of hanover above title on shoulder strap

Edited by downshill
extra line

It is difficult to identify the cap badge above, but it is the basic shape and the 5DG cap badge has  a horse of Hanover at its centre and the regimental title VDG surrounded by brass circle 

Eddie

I don't like the shoulder title. I don't think any regular cavalry wore curved titles - 5DG was a simple 5DG. I wonder if it's a TF units of some description

Definitely not cavalry. The ST doesn’t really fit any Yeomanry I can think of either, dare I say they could be TF ASC unit

The leading horse in the first pic does not look like cavalry, unless a drum horse.  Look at the size of the hoofs.

if it wasn’t for the crowd I’d say these horses have just been requisitioned, saying that there isn’t much of a crowd

Edited by jay dubaya

I'd go TF ASC 

Edited by Steven Broomfield

39 minutes ago, daggers said:

The leading horse in the first pic does not look like cavalry, unless a drum horse.  Look at the size of the hoofs.

Could be a heavy draught horse, such as were used to pull baggage wagons or cooks' wagons. Or 60-pounder guns, though they would be RGA and not ASC - unless the horses were indeed being requisitioned before being allocated to units.

Ron