Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books on the aftermath (Verdun)

Todd

Hello.

This is my first post but I have always had a great appreciation for this forums and I have been reading it for a long time.

I've always had a great interest in the western front during the war and over the years I have read countless books but one topic is always lacking in these books, I'm specifically looking for books that talks about the aftermath of Verdun, basically the result the war had on the soil, but also for those living there after the war and up, the "clean up" after the war, removing weapons, ammunition, scrap and even human bodies, the effect the chemicals had on the area, building of the monuments etc.

I found one book: After the Ruin by Hugh Clout

This looks perfect but it just too expensive right now, at some point I will buy it but until then does anyone know any other books on the same topic? On Verdun specifically is preferred but other parts of the front lines are also of interest, and preferably in English, as my French is real, real, real bad!

Edited by Todd
typo

Hi Todd

Welcome to the forum; an excellent first post if I may say so and a subject that I would be interested in. Verdun was part of the Zone Rouge after the war and this Wikipedia entry has some references which might be worth a look. The nine villages détruits that were not rebuilt after the war are covered in a link from it. I'll have a look if I can see any further references in my limited Verdun collection.

Pete.

P.S. My French is real real real bad too.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate your reply even though I'm quite late at responding.

I have read most of the things I can find online, and I am looking for something more in depth. Though the price is steep I ended up buying the book I referenced in my first post along with another Aftermath: The Remnants of War by Donovan Webster if anyone else is interested. It is a good start while I keep looking for more literature on the subject. 

If anyone else has some tips for further reading, I am interested!

Thanks again for your help!

Thomas

• 3 weeks later...

Thomas

I am listening to a podcast between Robert Elms (BBC London) and the author Tom Isitt who has just published a book called 'Riding in the Rouge Zone 1919' which, as it suggest, was a cycle race through the battlefields.

May be worth a listen?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Maxi!

Thank for the tip! I will definitely look it up and give it a listen. 

Thank you so much!