Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C H Williams, AIF

Williams2923

• Admin

As the ribbons identity is solved, now renamed to the soldiers name  and moved to Soldiers subforum

• Michelle Young changed the title to C H Williams, AIF
6 hours ago, Williams2923 said:

I'm very grateful of the support of this site. This is all new to me. And help is brilliant to make a true account of my uncal. Apologies for posting everything up. Just wanted to show what information I have.

Regards 

Jamie

Jamie,

based on the text you sent me and on the fact that your uncle served with the Coldstream Guards I can assess with high probability what the medals on his uniform are.

I see 4 medal ribbons on the 1st line and I believe that the 3 of them are British: The 1st from the left as we look at the ribbons could be a Long Service Medal, the 2nd a Khedives medal and the 3rd a Sudan Medal (type 01180 in the search box of www.dracomedals.com to find out what a Sudan medal looks like) . Unfortunately I don't have samples of the other 2 to show you. The 4th medal in the line is the French "Military Medal" (type "valor discipline" in the search box and when the results pop up look for medals of the 7th type). 

The single medal ribbon of the 2nd line is the French medal for Morocco (type Morocco 1908).

The above set is the most likely scenario BUT since I don't know how long he stayed with the Coldstreams I can't be 100% positive. 

The other less likely scenario differs only on the 1st medal. If your uncle stayed long enough in Morocco with the FFL or if he did something exceptional during his staying he could have received the Order of Ouissam Allaouite (type 02369 and 01721). However since he was not an officer (the officers of the FFL were French) the chances are slim.

The medal of the Orient campaign (type 02866 and 02942) - the one you showed me on Ebay - is a medal that your uncle had no chance to receive while he was alive to pin it on his uniform and photo himself with it. Your uncle died during WW1 but all the French medals for WW1 were established after 1922 (most of them in 1926).

All the best and wishes for merry Christmas and a happy 2019

Katantonakis Georgios
Lt. Colonel (Arty-Intel) Hellenic Army ret.
Officer in the Order of Honor of the Hellenic Republic
Officer in the Order of the Phoenix

I doubt that the first medal in the top row is a long service award as they were worn after the campaign medals and besides, I don't think he served in the British Army long enough to earn one. It is a campaign medal earned before service in the 2nd Boer War, possibly the India General Service Medal (1895) but it's difficult to make the ribbon out. Next is the Queen's South Africa Medal, then the King's South Africa Medal, then the Medaille Militaire. The single ribbon in the bottom row is the Medaille Commemorative du Maroc (1909). Pete.

1 minute ago, Williams2923 said:

received_194766364794511.jpeg.jpg.8bf4d4950a9ea04abdb8b962f01b3eba.jpg

?

Image already posted at #9?

so he got a French and British MM ?

• 3 months later...