Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

136 Labour Coy

anthony yates

Planning to visit WW1 Battlefields to see where my Grandfather  (Sergeant Albert Edward Yates 81007 ) was stationed/based/fought during the Great War. Could any body help with the location of 136 Labour Coy and what the Coy was used for ?

39 minutes ago, anthony yates said:

Planning to visit WW1 Battlefields to see where my Grandfather  (Sergeant Albert Edward Yates 81007 ) was stationed/based/fought during the Great War. Could any body help with the location of 136 Labour Coy and what the Coy was used for ?

No Labour, No Battle - Starling & Lee has; 

136 Coy ( No's 81001-81600) was formed in May 1917,  it was created from 28th Infantry Labour Coy, The Queens Royal West Surrey Reg. 

Anthony,

Welcome to the forum.

136 Labour Company was formed in France from 28th Infantry Labour Company of the Queen's Regiment. They comprised men who were medically unfit for front line service. Albert was a Sergeant in the Queen's regiment before being transferred to the Labour Corps. His medal index card is here;-   https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1262/30850_A001738-02132?pid=193922&backurl=https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3DbmY23912%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26indiv%3D1%26db%3Dmedalrolls%26gsfn%3Dalbert%26gsln%3Dyates%26gsfn_x%3D1%26gsln_x%3D1%26cp%3D11%26_F00061C3%3Dlabour%26_F00061C3_x%3D1%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26redir%3Dfalse%26uidh%3D9y4%26gss%3Dangs-d%26pcat%3D39%26fh%3D9%26h%3D193922%26recoff%3D%26ml_rpos%3D10&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=bmY23912&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

It shows that Albert was awarded the British Victory Medal and British War Medal.

Regards,

Alf McM

Alf

Thanks for the information and link to medal cards. His medal has an oak leaf on it and my Father says its mentioned in dispatches but I am unable to find any information on this ..any ideas?

GWF 1967

Thanks to you for your information I cant belive that you guys can come up with all this information. Can you point me in the right direction or help with any more information with the 136 Coy especially any locations/bases/work carried out.

KR

Anthony

47 minutes ago, anthony yates said:

GWF 1967

Thanks to you for your information I cant belive that you guys can come up with all this information. Can you point me in the right direction or help with any more information with the 136 Coy especially any locations/bases/work carried out.

KR

Anthony

If you haven't seen already this  https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/definitions-of-units/what-was-a-labour-company/    it will give you an idea of the make up and tasks undertaken by a labour coy. 

I don't believe most of the Labour battalions kept a war diary, so information seems to be quite scarce;  no battalion is listed for his service with the Queens either. 

He has a surviving service record on FMP( should be on Ancestry too), this shows enlistment to the 4th Royal Berkshire Regiment T.F, No. 3944 on  23/1/1915, in Reading.   Overseas service from 19/3/1917;   Transferred to the Labour Corps 14/5/1917 and discharged due to asthma on 23/4/1919, 40% disablement.   He was awarded the Silver War Badge, No. B261220. 

Address given; The Bell Inn, Cholsey, Berkshire. 

GWF

Thanks for the info yes he was from Reading/Cholsey originally although he came back from Canada (working as a tyre maker )to join up.

I have some records of his and I have seen the medal cards, do you think he developed Ashma after he joined up ? I was told he was gassed and also had shrapnel wounds in his chest could this had led to the Asthma?

I will try and keep looking for more info of his Coy but as you say information is a bit sparse.

I really appreciate your help

KR

Anthony

3 minutes ago, anthony yates said:

GWF

Thanks for the info yes he was from Reading/Cholsey originally although he came back from Canada (working as a tyre maker )to join up.

I have some records of his and I have seen the medal cards, do you think he developed Ashma after he joined up ? I was told he was gassed and also had shrapnel wounds in his chest could this had led to the Asthma?

I will try and keep looking for more info of his Coy but as you say information is a bit sparse.

I really appreciate your help

KR

Anthony

The SWB was awarded as his asthma was deemed to be caused, or exacerbated, by his military service.