Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mud-plough used by Canadians, Salisbury Plain 1914-15

Moonraker

I'd read of Canadians soldiers using snow-ploughs to clear the notorious mud at their camps on Salisbury Plain in the winter of 1914-15 and had rather imagined they were of the large type employed to clear roads and rail tracks. One account notes that "attempts to use snow-ploughs to shift the mud produced ridges of sticky mud that became higher and higher". But this "official photograph" shows a surely vain attempt to deploy a mud-plough.

1697676214_Canadianssnowplough.jpg.c6f7311dd1661fb331a33ba4f56e8952.jpg

I also have a cigarette card showing a similar scene.

I can't really see what was expected to be achieved, and I suspect that this was one of several facetious photographs (which were often printed on postcards) of mud in the early camps of the war, including

this one

Moonraker

An interesting photo but one which I suspect is entirely posed for the camera. With newspapers keen to get anything to offer a news-hungry readership, I guess anything which shows what the boys were doing will have been classed as newsworthy. On the other hand, you can tell by the attitudes of the men that the couple at the front are not really pulling, the the chap at the back is not doing anything other than holding the plough handles and the chap stood on the plough is obviously not moving otherwise he would have to be working harder at keeping his balance.The slight track they have made in the mud suggests they have had a go, but I can't see it having any practical benefit for the effort expended!

David

I have several other "official photographs" and various postcards of the First Canadian Contingent on Salisbury Plain that feature obviously-contrived scenes, including that in my "this one" link.

Moonraker

• 1 month later...

I have heard the Canadians were flooded out on the plain. The picture may be staged, but the presence on the plow in camp would suggest to me, they were attempting to channel water away from their bell tents. Some photos I have seen of the Canadians during this period shows water to their knees.

Ypres1915

All the contemporary references that I've seen relate to ploughs being used (vainly) to clear mud. Listed on eBay at any one time there are usually at least  a couple of  postcards showing flood water more than knee deep, sometimes featuring horse-drawn transport proceeding through the water. Many of the photos were taken where the Amesbury by-pass now runs and where the River Avon had burst its banks. The River Til also flooded Shrewton.295877512_14flood.jpg.c51e636e191659f3c44ed2c02d178d50.jpg

Another photo taken in January 1915TCAOSP-031.jpg.ed507e2475b0265f76908d8be729c687.jpg

Edited by Moonraker