Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kriegs Lazarette 1 VII St Quentin

janhooker

I'm trying to identify the building that was in use as the above hospital in August 1916 at St Quentin, where my man, a 2/Lt with 8th KLR died of wounds whilst POW. His papers refer to Salle Vauban and I wonder whether this was in a school/university or even the Palace of Justice building which has cropped up during my research. Any ideas much appreciated.

Vauban was a military engineer in France in the 17th century so it could have been a barracks or a military training establishment, perhaps. 

Google tells me that plenty of cities in France still have a Salle Vauban, but I can't find one in St Quentin.

Forget my previous post.

The Salle Vauban was/is a room in the Societe Académique de Saint-Quentin, located 9 rue Villebois-Mareuil in Saint-Quentin.

(Source: Kgl. Sächs. Kriegslazarett-DIrektor nr. 12)

facade1.jpg

Edited by roel22

Thank you both for your replies and helpful information.  Helen McPhails book on St Quentin mentions that injured POW's were housed in the Palais Fervaques but were only cared for by nuns without medical facilities, and I tend to think the Kriegs Lazarette 1 VII mentioned in my original post may have been another hospital exclusively for German soldiers. Roel,I will certainly check out salle vauban when I visit St Quentin in June and thank you once again.

1 hour ago, janhooker said:

Thank you both for your replies and helpful information.  Helen McPhails book on St Quentin mentions that injured POW's were housed in the Palais Fervaques but were only cared for by nuns without medical facilities, and I tend to think the Kriegs Lazarette 1 VII mentioned in my original post may have been another hospital exclusively for German soldiers. Roel,I will certainly check out salle vauban when I visit St Quentin in June and thank you once again.

Hello,

Wounded allied POWs were properly cared for by the German army! They passed through the German hospital system just as the German wounded. Usually there were special hospitals for the POWs because of security reasons but also to have personnel available that understood the language.

Jan

Yes, agreed, and this is clearly evident in the documentation i have from the German authorities in the care taken to record admission to the hospital and subsequent burial at st martins cemetery.  I am simply looking to identify the correct hospital.

Jan, please let us know if your visit to Saint-Quentin brings the answers to your questions. Best of luck!

Roel