Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial Service Medal research?

MarkMcM

Hello all,

Is it possible to research a GV Imperial Service Medal recipient??  

They were awarded to members of the civil service who had 25 years or more service to the Crown. As mentioned above , the names should appear in the LG and give the branch of civil service they were employed in. Once you know that it may mean contacting the relevant department or its successor and may also require a freedom of information submission. 

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

ah, thanks!  So basically, no quick and dirty way to run down an alphabetic medal roll. 

Can be quick, unless your man is John Smith !

Most of my research into ISM has come from local papers concentrating around the gazette date 

Well, in this case it might not be too bad.  The name is Anne Barbara Stephen.  

36190D71-C2B4-4DCA-A2BA-EF100A1A2E88.jpeg

The National Library of Australia may be able to help. They have " Biographical cuttings on Ann Barbara Stephen, daughter of Sir Ninian Stephen, containing one or more cuttings from newspapers or journals". Worth signing up and looking particularly as Sir Ninian had a distinguished career. I had to smile when I read his obituary to find that he, his brother and his mother travelled to Australia in 1940 to escape the war. He then served as an infantryman fighting against the Japanese.

3 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

The National Library of Australia may be able to help. They have " Biographical cuttings on Ann Barbara Stephen, daughter of Sir Ninian Stephen, containing one or more cuttings from newspapers or journals". Worth signing up and looking particularly as Sir Ninian had a distinguished career. I had to smile when I read his obituary to find that he, his brother and his mother travelled to Australia in 1940 to escape the war. He then served as an infantryman fighting against the Japanese.

Hi Jim,

interesting stuff... but something doesn’t add up.  If Ninian is service age in WW2, Anne can’t be his daughter and get awarded a GV ISM.  Unless we have inadvertently stumbled upon a time machine situation here... 😉

20 hours ago, MarkMcM said:

Hi Jim,

interesting stuff... but something doesn’t add up.  If Ninian is service age in WW2, Anne can’t be his daughter and get awarded a GV ISM.  Unless we have inadvertently stumbled upon a time machine situation here... 😉

You are right. Must be a different one as Ninian Stephen was born in 1923 so his daughter would not have received a Geo.V ISM. There is a family tree on Ancestry but closed for general access. But it is quite possible that Ninian had a sister, Anne, who was the recipient and from whom his daughter was named. Supposition, I know, but Stephen is not a common name. BUT I have found an Anne Barbara Stephen in Aberdeen. In 1898 she was in the Post Office so quite conceivable that she would have been awarded her ISM between 1910 and 1936.   https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/11003/page/683

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

thanks gentlemen!  This looks like a match...