Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte J.A.Johnstone id required

garfyboy

Hi folks

a recent card purchase that I am struggling to id, cap badge looks to have star points... maybe ASC, worc Reg?

but given I have his name, address and part readable service number I’m still struggling, number looks certain that the first three numbers are 432 then maybe 797 or 791 or maybe 79 and a smudge?

have found a John a Johnstone 432283 RE but number looks wrong and certainly not a RE badge.

Any help would be appreciated 

A3CA5098-EAEF-4A62-BAFD-8E1EFB00C2F4.jpeg

54FFFB23-5AE9-4937-A2DF-83B2D70BD757.png

256046B3-3A0B-4C32-85FC-B8C98C873F60.jpeg

A159913F-C394-4DB2-9002-A09721AA0ED1.png

Looks as if ASC is a distinct possibility.

However, what a superb piece of history - wrtitten the day before the Somme offensive started. A truly historic document.

Hi Stephen 

yes indeed, a fantastic piece of history, amazing what you can find still for a few pounds, a simple card like this can speak a thousand words

By the way, in case you'd not checked, Lindum Road is still there: it's a side road at the back of Cleethorpes sea front, along from where the old Winter Gardens used to be. I stopped up there many time connected to work (in the Kingsway Hotel, a little along the front) and know the area reasonably well.

That’s good to know, I will take a look on google earth, so many times the old addresses have long since gone