Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Graffiti in Bomy: Royal Irish Regiment

George Rayner

21 hours ago, 1RGLI said:

The element of the 6th R IRISH R that were from R. Guernsey L.I. (Militia) pre Dec 1916, were embodied into D Coy R IR REGT, not A Coy.

All the best,

Mark.

Mark, do you have, or know of anywhere that does have, a full list of all the men from Guernsey that served with the Royal Irish Regiment?

Thank you for all the help so far...if anybody has any time/expertise/knowledge to solve the final piece I would be very grateful.

image.png.707f0787735ec6a1c68ffb5cc087e9b7.png

Seems to be A Company 6th Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment 1915 Bomy; six letter first name(?) R_ _ _ _ _ L Dick for family name.

Thank you-I go to Bomy on Wednesday!!

George

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2019 at 19:29, George Rayner said:

Thank you for all the help so far...if anybody has any time/expertise/knowledge to solve the final piece I would be very grateful.

image.png.707f0787735ec6a1c68ffb5cc087e9b7.png

Seems to be A Company 6th Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment 1915 Bomy; six letter first name(?) R_ _ _ _ _ L Dick for family name.

Thank you-I go to Bomy on Wednesday!!

George

Hi George, this last one has me stumped. I have tried Diek, Dick, Dirk but actually looking at the lettering of the other words I think it is DIER. First name looks like REMAUL.I have checked the Regimental history for killed and wounded plus War Diaries,usual Pay sites and this just has me stumped.

On another note, I will visit here in September to remember my relation Robert Reade

Thank you for your time and trouble. I took what details we have to our contact in the village and will try for another look at the graffiti on the next visit which may help.

It is a delightful village and I hope your remembrance goes well.

George

• 5 months later...

What an experience to see in the flesh where my relation Private Robert Reade had written his name on the church wall in Bomy France on 1st January 1916.Image may contain: 1 personNo photo description available.

70998711_10219384746676802_8212576673724366848_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQnveq6TKGQ_A7ebln3MxWM0hZAWUEuSj9WwQvEHkpSzBrPgyNK5_Skzz2wV7qB33lVMJoBJsyM1PvsFj2porkX-&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=79ef51fdd38a17acef21926fbda063fa&oe=5E39FA78

Well done for your visit.  It is amazing that it has all survived so well through 100 years+.

I have begun to wonder how many more there are around in France unrecorded.

In Aubin St. Vaast I was showing a small group of school children around the church and found a scratched piece by a Canadian-if the photo shows up well enough I'll post it

George

Based on Bobster’s DIER what about one of the DIVER chaps

2317 John James

2393 William 

3443 Charles

All 6th RIR. All went out 17/12/15. William deserted 29/1/17. The other 2 were killed 21/8/16 and are buried at Loos.

Charles has surviving papers and shows he was illiterate. X on attestation.

Clearly whatever the “first name” is does not fit with any of them.

The 1915 could be determined to be just the year

Edit William is or appears to be JJ’s brother. There is a picture purporting to be them on Ancestry. Both wearing what looks like an RIR cap badge.

Edited by Mark1959

Thanks Mark that looks like it's worth pursuing.

George

Based my conclusion on the surname beginning "Di". Going through medal rolls "Diver" seemed to be the only one that looked anything like. Just on the fact we know Charles was illiterate or semi-literate at best one would tend to favour him of the three. I think the "first name" might be a red herring. Spent a long time looking for any name similar in the rolls and there is none. 

JJ and W's address is Lesky Street, Londonderry

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/No__4_Urban__West_Ward/Lecky_Road/1537160/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_Urban__4_/Lesky_Road/603474/

William 1895-1965. There are newspaper reports of him being caught in Oct 1917 after his desertion . His dad David Diver was trying to hide him.

Charles docs here.

His father was serving in the Northumberland Fusiliers see here

Edited by Mark1959

Thanks Mark

Will check through later when I have time to study carefully

George