Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

George Rayner

Graffiti in Bomy: Royal Irish Regiment

George Rayner

On a trip last week to Northern France we were shown round a delightful village called Bomy. On the church wall was some graffiti-apparently done in pencil. Attached are photos. Help with deciphering and additional soldier info gratefully received. The villagers would be pleased to know more...as would I.

This is about 30 minutes from St. Omer

George

P2220143.JPG

P2220144.JPG

P2220145.JPG

P2220146.JPG

P2220147.JPG

JulianR
George Rayner

Thank you littlebob for pm and Julian

George

JulianR
little bob

Pte 2353 Louis Augustus Mclaughlin served in 6th and later 2nd Battalion. Disembarked 17/12/1915 discharged 25/3/1919.

Bob

JulianR

Looking at Ancestry and got through to the Irish census of 1901,  LAM is living with his widowed father Richard. 1 elder brother and 4 sisters at Edward Street Lower, Newry, Co. Armagh, LAM was born in Co. Limerick, all Roman Catholic, and I cannot make out what the father was beyond retired

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000753783/

JulianR
JulianR
little bob

Looks like Richard was a retired Head Constable  in the RIC.

Bob

George Rayner

Great. Will continue some of my own research as well but please add anything else you find.

George

Margaretnolan
8 hours ago, George Rayner said:

On a trip last week to Northern France we were shown round a delightful village called Bomy. On the church wall was some graffiti-apparently done in pencil. Attached are photos. Help with deciphering and additional soldier info gratefully received. The villagers would be pleased to know more...as would I.

That is some find.

Robert Reade is a local man from Kilkenny City close to where I live in Ireland. My granduncle was in the 6th Battalion Royal Irish Regiment and would possibly have joined at the same time as Robert.

GWF1967
2 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Great - anything else you find.

George

2499 - Pte. John Mellon.

43, Sheffield terrace, Creggan road, Londonderry. 

F&F 17/12/15. 

image.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

Mark1959

Is the last image in OP Dick Martin .. so Richard Martin 1746. F+F 17/12/15. Survived. Class Z 25/3/19 (Roll). 6th RIrRegt. 

1746 has an entry in a War Office wounded List 16/10/16. Home town Kilkenny.

1746 has a ledger card. Gives an address of Abbey Street, Kilkenny.

1911 census return Black Abbey Street. Richard Martin single living with parents and siblings. Aged 19

Ledger record say latest detail Royal Irish Regt. And 2 numbers 41655 and 7??082 poss 714082.

No actual service papers but those numbers may indicate post war service and maybe with MoD. 

Last name if others are correct then we are looking for a man with a 17/12/15 Star date.

Edited by Mark1959

JulianR
JulianR

Sorry the site keeps crashing, but from Ancestry.

Mellon went to US after the war and there is a Pension Record for him on Fold3.  I will not pay for Fold3

Julian

Mark1959

Ledger record for 2499 gives correct address. But it’s 43 Ashfield Terrace.

His FWR record suggests he is on the same wounded list as 1746 Richard Martin.

odd one re the rolls. 

Edited by Mark1959

George Rayner

Wow...go to bed and all this happens! Thank you all very much indeed. I will get on with sorting out details and pass them back to the villagers of Bomy.

Not certain we have everything quite yet so if the interest is there then please keep digging.

George

Mark1959

Anyone got any ideas of the name with 1915 after it? The second seems to start with D but I have been through medal roll and have not spotted any surname that looks remotely likely

JulianR

I thought that it was R Dick, but no luck as you say. I thought the Christian name might be Remaul.

Edited by JulianR

bobster1
On 25/02/2019 at 08:59, George Rayner said:

This is about 30 minutes from St. Omer

George

P2220143.JPG

P2220144.JPG

P2220145.JPG

P2220146.JPG

P2220147.JPG

3449 Robert Reade was my grandfathers cousin.This is unreal!!!!!!

bobster1
On 26/02/2019 at 15:37, JulianR said:

I thought that it was R Dick, but no luck as you say. I thought the Christian name might be Remaul.

The 6th Battalion included the Guernsey Militia, name might be from there

1RGLI

The element of the 6th R IRISH R that were from R. Guernsey L.I. (Militia) pre Dec 1916, were embodied into D Coy R IR REGT, not A Coy.

All the best,

Mark.

George Rayner

Thank you for continued interest. I return next week and will pass on the information to the village then. In the meantime if anything else comes along...

George