Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information of the reverse of a 1914-1915 medal

KernelPanic

The only thing I can add is that it looks as though he was back in the UK shortly after Jan 1916 and didn't return to the war.

Perhaps he decided to go to Canada and changed his mind or went and came back fairly quickly. Perhaps a look at passenger list?

TEW

From the detailed medical record we have, he was invalided on Jan 10th 1916 with trench nephritis—although the condition wasn't given the 'trench' name till later that year—first to Etaples and then to Wharncliffe Hospital in Sheffield. The invaliding date coincides with what you have. I understand from our record was that he released back into service on March 7th with a clean bill of health.  But from your interpretation, he didn't return to France after his stay in Sheffield. 

Our next entry was for his Travelling Medical Board exam on the 9th of Feb, 1917. I presume from the Travelling part of its name, his exam with the TMB was in France rather than England, but maybe not. This led to his C1 status on Feb 2, 1917 etc. Unfortunately, I can't find much of anything about these TMBs.

Thanks again TEW. This is all invaluable.

2 hours ago, KernelPanic said:

From the detailed medical record we have, he was invalided on Jan 10th 1916 with trench nephritis—although the condition wasn't given the 'trench' name till later that year—first to Etaples and then to Wharncliffe Hospital in Sheffield. The invaliding date coincides with what you have. I understand from our record was that he released back into service on March 7th with a clean bill of health.  But from your interpretation, he didn't return to France after his stay in Sheffield. 

Our next entry was for his Travelling Medical Board exam on the 9th of Feb, 1917. I presume from the Travelling part of its name, his exam with the TMB was in France rather than England, but maybe not. This led to his C1 status on Feb 2, 1917 etc. Unfortunately, I can't find much of anything about these TMBs.

Thanks again TEW. This is all invaluable.

As far as I'm aware all of the work of the TMBs was done in the UK.

Craig

Yes, the 'Medical History During Services' sheet has him being admitted to Hospital in France 10/1/1916 with Nephritis. Invalided to Hospital in UK (no date given) and under hospital care until 7/3/1916.

Then classified C1 9/2/1917 by TMB in the UK. Nothing there suggests he return to France between 7/3/1916 and 9/2/1917.

I found him on Ancestry's UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960 with the 2 Thompsons Yard, Low Chare address. Occupation - labourer. Heading for Quebec on board the Montroyal which left Liverpool 16/5/1924. Canada is given as Country of intended future residence.

Can't find him coming home though!

Yesterday I said;

There appears to be a conflict with his date of discharge across the various rolls. I think the date 8/6/17 given as a discharge date on some records is a date of transfer from ASC to RASC.

The date 8/6/1917 is the date of transfer to Class P, nothing to do with ASC becoming RASC.

Being awarded a SWB on transfer to Class P with pension awarded is a bit of a new one on me. The card and SWB roll have lined through the 'Discharge' part and replaced it with Transferred.

TEW

ASC became RASC in late 1918, after the war had ended.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Dear Craig and TEW,

Brilliant research efforts: you are a credit to the GWF!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

PS: My medal collection is "Officers Only", which invariably makes research easier...

Thanks Dai, had a niggle I was talking waffle last night.

KernalPanic,

Just found another Ancestry item under 'Canada, Ocean Arrivals (Form 30A), 1919-1924'.

Not sure this is available without worldwide subscription but is available in library.

Again it has the 2 Thompsons yard address. Says he's a Fish Merchant and intending to take up farming. Wife given as Isabella Taylor Mason not travelling with him. He was destined for Soldiers ???? Establishment Winipeg.

TEW

49 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

ASC became RASC in late 1918, after the war had ended.

36 minutes ago, TEW said:

Thanks Dai, had a niggle I was talking waffle last night

No you were right.

Can't remember off hand whether it was November or December.

3 hours ago, TEW said:

Thanks Dai, had a niggle I was talking waffle last night.

KernalPanic,

Just found another Ancestry item under 'Canada, Ocean Arrivals (Form 30A), 1919-1924'.

Not sure this is available without worldwide subscription but is available in library.

Again it has the 2 Thompsons yard address. Says he's a Fish Merchant and intending to take up farming. Wife given as Isabella Taylor Mason not travelling with him. He was destined for Soldiers ???? Establishment Winipeg.

TEW

Tew, many thanks for all your deep digging! What you have here adds up, and has opened a new window into our family history. I knew nothing of Walter's Canadian expedition.

In your last sentence, maybe the ??? relates to the Department of Soldiers Civll Re-establshment. This was a Canadian Government body. It is in the signature line of the medical/pensions record we have (see image attachments a few messages up this thread).

I'll post that part tomorrow but Civil does seem a possibility. Frustrating that I couldn't find him returning. I presume he was hoping to make it good out there and get Isabella to come out later. 

TEW