Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dopp Z.92 German fuze... in copper?

depaor01

Bought this today and have been looking for info about it. All of the pics I've seen show the fuze made of brass. This seems to be in copper.

Questions are...

Is it a variant as it's not brass?

Is it possible to replace the missing ring that should be where the screw is?

Thanks as always 

Dave

20190224_152643.jpg

20190224_152639.jpg

20190224_152648.jpg

20190224_152721.jpg

20190224_152657.jpg

I'm guessing here - but Germany had good supplies of copper of its own, but zinc to make brass may have been problematic because of the British blockade. So they may have tried other alloying metals. Bronze would have been good but I dunno if they could get the tin. What you've got doesn't look red enough for copper, but could be some form of bronze. Copper on its own is soft and sticky, and difficult to machine cleanly and accurately.

That gaine projecting down looks as if it might have something in it. It won't be mother's milk.

Edited by MikB

15 minutes ago, MikB said:

I'm guessing here - but Germany had good supplies of copper of its own, but zinc to make brass may have been problematic because of the British blockade. So they may have tried other alloying metals. Bronze would have been good but I dunno if they could get the tin. What you've got doesn't look red enough for copper, but could be some form of bronze. Copper on its own is soft and sticky, and difficult to machine cleanly and accurately.

That gaine projecting down looks as if it might have something in it. It won't be mother's milk.

The gaine bothered me a bit but I appreciate the info. :whistle:

Thanks,

Dave

During the American civil war the Confederates made some fuze items of "red brass" which just used a little more copper.

new3.2

I take the point about shortage of zinc and tin, but this does look to me as if an over-soaking in some chemical solution might have also(?) had some effect. I remember with some shame how in 1965, as a volunteer conservation assistant at Gloucester City Museum, I managed to completely transform the appearance of some Roman brooches I was working on...

I was told once that some fertilizers react with the zinc, so that when the brass is cleaned up they have a rough coppery look where the surface zinc has left the alloy.

As mentioned, it’s just where the zinc has oxidised faster than the copper in the brass leaving a surface of copper on the surface. Unfortunately the only way to get it back to brass would be to grind off the surface, which would essentially be damaging it further. You could try fine sandpaper, but I wouldn’t use anything harsher than that.

I think the section at the bottom is the part that initiates the gaine rather than the gaine itself.

Dave,

Your fuze is missing the graduated timer ring, this unthreaded to allow for adjustment, and below that the bottom plate/adaptor with a coarse external

thread (these both in brass) that screws into the steel adaptor that in turn, screws into the nose of the steel shell body.  The thread visible in your photo is for a ring that is integral with the bottom plate/adaptor.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Great info. Thanks all,

Dave

Just now, Michael Haselgrove said:

Dave,

In case you, or others, haven't seen it this website is excellent:

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/english_fusees_collection_all.html#DoppZ92

Regards,

Michael.

I used that site as my first port of call.  It's very comprehensive indeed. 

Dave

16 minutes ago, Michael Haselgrove said:

...In case you, or others, haven't seen it this website is excellent:

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/english_fusees_collection_all.html#DoppZ92

What an amazing site! Took some dedication, I guess, to pull all that together!

Julian

You are actually missing two rings. The one that sits under the piece you have is about 5mm thick and carries the powder trail for the fuze. Under that is a heavier piece with the thread that goes into the shell.

Here's a couple of photos. One showing all three parts, and the other a side view of the construction.

SSCN1124.JPG.396e3803a351de590907e36be3129e59.JPGSSCN1123.JPG.de6347ddf63bac068eeca5c2dbb017c4.JPG

7 hours ago, ServiceRumDiluted said:

I was told once that some fertilizers react with the zinc, so that when the brass is cleaned up they have a rough coppery look where the surface zinc has left the alloy.

That is completely correct.