Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy record for James Rayner

I'm struggling to understand the Register of Seaman's Service record for James Rayner born 1873 in Rockland Norfolk, Official Number 149641.  

It seems to me that he first served 12.6.1889, enlisted  for 12 years aged 18, on 7.7.1891 and was then posted to numerous ships and shore establishments until 1903.  He was also in the cells for two periods and there are 42 days which I can't read, when he was unposted.

Then he joined the R.F.R. in Chatham in 1906 and re-enrolled 3.10.1910-31.8.1916.  He has two pages of entries, 149641 and 149663.  He is also listed as a labourer in a cyder factory in Norfolk on the 1911 census,has a son born in 1911, is missing from the 1939 census, where his wife says she is married, not widowed, and as far as the family know, just vanished into thin air.

Could anyone explain his service record to me please?  Could he have been in the factory and the RFR at the same time?  Can I get more from the Ancestry record for him that I'm missing?  I can't find a medal card, he didn't serve 20 consecutive years, so I think no pension.

I'd be very grateful if there's anyone who can spare the time to help with this.  Thank You

Do you have an image of it you can post? It's always easier if we can look at the document. 

Thanks!

He enlisted on 12/6/89 but his 12 -year engagement did not start until his 18th birthday. He was discharged in 1903 when his 12-years Continuous Service (CS) engagement was complete - no pension. He then elected to join the Royal Fleet Reserve and was mobilised from the RFR for WW1. RFR men followed their normal civilian employment until mobilised.

The Admiralty medal rolls (no "cards" for RN) show that he claimed his WW1 trio of medals.

The continuation part of his record has been entered underneath the records for GW LANDER 149663.

There are no 42 days "unposted" that I can see.

Edited by horatio2