Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurses off to Front

JulianR

I have just acquired a postcard that was printed in the United Kingdom as it has the Inland Postage rate being 1/2d and foreign rate as 1d, it purports to show English Nurses In France, on their way to the Front.  The publishers mark is F.A.P. A 423.

If you look at the photos between the first man on the platform and the nurse on the platform, you can just about make out the words Etat Belge with another line of what is probably numerals below that.  I only saw the writing when looking at the photo in sunlight.  

I am happy that the picture was taken in France or Flanders as Etat Belge was the Belgium State Railway company.  

I am not convinced that the nurses are British, they do not look British and the uniform appears not to be British either.  

If I am right in that surmise, why was the pc printed in the UK.  I spoke with the dealer and he is convinced that the card is British.

Can anyone state if these are British nurses or add anything to the card?

Thanks

Julian564917-022319.jpg.9dfb4eabc510826400e387002147c453.jpg

Edited by JulianR
amended statement

Yes, it is, but I was not sure that people reading it would know, will edit

• Admin

Could it be one of the privately funded hospitals by a titled lady? 

I am attaching a picture of the Friends Ambulance Unit in France in 1917 for comparison.  I suspect that the nurses shown in the original photo are Belgian or French,  anyone know how to bring Marilynes attention to this?367500207_FAU1917France-1.jpg.a2704af29c9b244fe2b2c427bb905543.jpg

Edited by JulianR
clarity

I don't know how well tagging @Marilyne works, but otherwise you could send her a private message with a link to the thread.

• Admin

I had a google of an image of the Duchess of Sutherland and her staff. Some non issue looking uniforms there. 

In 'A Nurse at the Front' Edith Appleton relates an incident from No.3 Casualty Clearing Station in 1915. There were so many wounded and dead, and an orderly was trying to sort them for burial according to religion etc. 'Then he found a fresh difficulty - one man, who he thought was an officer, had nothing to mark him as such. 'And 'ow am I to bury. 'im? As a' officer - or man?' Sister said, 'Surely they all get buried the same?' 'No they don't,' said the bewildered corporal, 'Men is 'ammered - officers is screwed.' Poor sister, who was worn out as well as everyone else, suddenly went hysterical and laughed and laughed ...

• Admin

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/52965-millicent-sutherland-ambulance-calais/

Thanks to all for the posts.  Please see the link above, and pictures below.  The second picture shows similarities in the uniform.  I am still undecided if they are from the Duchess of Sutherland's unit.

gettyimages-592809314-612x612.jpg.5027bc63c75d1f01822e7f83fba704bb.jpggettyimages-810560440-1024x1024.jpg.9584333c1564fdd8acae6d0d5b1a971b.jpg

Edited by JulianR
spelling

16 hours ago, JulianR said:

I am attaching a picture of the Friends Ambulance Unit in France in 1917,  I suspect that the nurses shown are Belgian or French,  anyone know how to bring Marilynes attention to this?367500207_FAU1917France-1.jpg.a2704af29c9b244fe2b2c427bb905543.jpg

Surely the nurses are British and are members of the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service. Not Belgian or French.

_wsb_314x563_QAIMNS+Reserve+sister+site.jpg

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Ok, my bad need to edit, no I was referring to the original photo

Hi guys,

sorry for taking some time to answer... last week was kindof a ver low point for me as the Belgian Army (Logistics, to be precise) planted a dagger in my back...

first: it's not because the train is Belgian (after all, a lot of belgian carriages were put at the disposal of the helping armies), but the uniforms of the men on the platform definitely are.

But I'm not a 100% sure if the nurses are Belgian... it goes to reason that they are, but the caps are wrong.

Belgian nurses wore a white cap, as can be seen on this picture of the hospital staff of Dr Depage (here with Edith Cavell)

Cavell-Depage.jpg.a251b9e5b23c6834d7268d0a6bde178a.jpg

or on this pictures featuring Queen Elisabeth in her nurses' uniform,

elisabeth.png.61b6b7aa4d3de3558e14a52bf332566e.png

or Marie Spruyt (died June 2002 aged 107!) in this one:

2018279808_MarieMartheSpruyt.PNG.0baab07b2d966f2ca85eecf978c772f0.PNG

So I think that the option of a privately funded organisation such as a special train might be more realistic.

There's a book about the Belgian medical service that I need to consult for further information... but it's at Evere, so it might take some time.

Also a person I can consult...

stay tuned!!

Marilyne