Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Foresters 1917. Help needed please.

neverforget

I have just received a request from a friend to help him with some information regarding his uncle who served with the Sherwood Foresters. I have copied and pasted the relevant part of his message, and now turn to forum pals for help. Can anyone answer his questions please?

Many thanks in advance.

"Hi mate, I have been researching my Dad's elder brother William. I found his WW1 enlistment document and it makes interesting reading. Briefly, signed up with Sherwood Foresters 2/10/1914 age 17 yrs 2 mnths, this is crossed out and 18 yrs 0 mnths written in. It states he was wounded 29/9/2017 and returned home, discharged from the service 3/8/18. My question is, do you know what the Sherwood Foresters were doing on the day he got wounded? Were they in the region of Polygon Wood? I know it's one of your interests. Cheers."

11 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

A name is often useful, saves exercising our psychic powers.;)

Ken

Of course! Sorry, it was William Mellor. Here's his attestation paper:

Screenshot_20190223-121241.png.6bdcecef28eca41a5db0e4db00fbee73.png

• Admin

With the usual caveat of citing Wikipedia it's a good place to start.

The 11th Battalion 70 Brigade 23rd Division were engaged in the Battle of Menin Road Ridge from 20th September

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Menin_Road_Ridge

The war diary shows that on the day of the initial attack the 70th Brigade was the Reserve Brigade.  They moved up in support and on 22nd moved into the front line, they were then in and out of the line with HQ at there location Stirling Castle.

On the 27th the diary records they were at Bedford House North of Ypres Canal where they remained all day, after dark they took over the front line from the 33rd Division their left on 'Reutelbeck Steam' (Reutelbeek)  their right North of the Menin Road.  They had just two days rest before being committed again.  This second phase was the Battle of Polygon Wood 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Polygon_Wood

They were relieved on the 29th and went back into support.  Casualties were not reported until the 1st October 'since the commencement of operations'.

If you have access to Ancestry the relevant page of the war diary is here

Ken

Many thanks Ken. It would be most helpful if I could find out to which battalion he was attached, but I'm struggling in that department. 

Your input is most gratefully appreciated.

Edited by neverforget

He was with the 11th battalion according to the Medal Rolls. His pension record, made after the war, indicates the 3rd battalion. I suspect he was transferred to the 3rd (a reserve battalion) after he was wounded. His date of entry to theatre indicates fighting service with the 11th battalion.

40 minutes ago, ajsmith said:

He was with the 11th battalion according to the Medal Rolls. His pension record, made after the war, indicates the 3rd battalion. I suspect he was transferred to the 3rd (a reserve battalion) after he was wounded. His date of entry to theatre indicates fighting service with the 11th battalion.

Many thanks for that. I couldn't find his medal index card on ancestry, just a pension record that seems to have been attributed to any number of William Mellors. 

So, can we take it that he was attached to the 11th battalion when he wounded? That would narrow down tbe search with regard to my friend's query.

Where were the 11th btn on the 29th / 9th/ 1917?

25 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Many thanks for that. I couldn't find his medal index card on ancestry, just a pension record that seems to have been attributed to any number of William Mellors. 

So, can we take it that he was attached to the 11th battalion when he wounded? That would narrow down tbe search with regard to my friend's query.

I don't think he was wounded on that date. He was discharged on the 26/9/1917 according to his SWB records, he could have been wounded weeks or even months before that.

• Admin
44 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Apparently no longer relevant but post 4 gave his Battalion, Brigade and Divisision and their location on the 29/9/1917

Ken

I see that Chelsea paid a pension for him in July 17 - 13/9 per week for 26 weeks, conditional pension.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM/WO363-4/007378233/00530&parentid=GBM/WO363-4/7378233/22/530

His pension card shows he was transferred to Class P on 18/7/1917, so he was released as being more valuable in civilian life.
https://www.fold3.com/image/644439327

By June 1922 he was found to be pretty much fit and the injury had resolved itself - he appealed this and was rejected.

Craig

I'm so grateful to you all for all your help. I do have current access to Ancestry, but not fold3 unfortunately. (Would a screenshot be possible please Craig?)

My friend will be most impressed, and appreciative with everyone's response.

My thanks to you all 👍