Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M. Yacht Valiant 11

Guest suefreckles

Guest suefreckles

Hi,

I have just started researching my Family history and have found a relative on the CWGC site.His name was Walter Reginald William Macey and is listed as serving in the Mercantile Marine Reserve onboard H.M. Yacht Valiant 11. He died age 24 01/10/1918 age 24 and was from Southampton. I have been searching the internet for information about H.M.Yacht Valiant 11 but so far have come up with nothing. Does anyone have any information about this ship? I would be most grateful.My Grandfather Sidney John Macey also served in the Mechant Navy during WW1 and was torpedoed 3 times, but I have no idea which ships he served on, does any one know how I can find out? Many Thanks

Pendant No 038, HMY Valiant, 1855 tons, launched 1893, became VALIANT II on 11th Feb 1915, armed with 4 x 12 pounder guns,. She was requisitioned from 18th November 1914 to 6th February 1919 when she was returned.

Aye

Malcolm

Might this be the vessel in question?

Hello

Other than Macey, there was only one other man dying in VALIANT II. This was Chief Gunner Joseph Barrow who died io 29 Dec 1915.

don

Guest suefreckles

Many Thanks to both Malcolm and Kin47 for your information. Sorry if I am late in replying but I thought the site was still down. Your help is most welcome.

kindest Regards

Sue

Guest suefreckles

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to thank Stephen for his picture. I have another query, John Macey age 25 from Southampton is listed as a leading seaman in 1901 serving on the Royal Yacht Victoria and Albert. Does anyone have any information on this.

Many thanks

Sue

Hi,

I have another query, John Macey age 25  from Southampton is listed as a leading seaman in 1901 serving on the Royal Yacht Victoria and Albert. Does anyone have any information on this.

Many thanks

Sue

Hi

Details from J.J. College Ships of the Royal Navy : ‘Victoria and Albert Screw (Royal) yacht, 4,700 tons 380x40ft. launched Pembroke Dock 9.5.1899.’ John Macey would have been in the Royal Navy and his records of service will be at the National Archives.

Fred

John Macey age 25  from Southampton is listed as a leading seaman in 1901

Sue

The method I’d use to find his record of service at Kew is to check the Admiralty medal roll on microfilm (but not online :angry: ) and for him it will be at ADM 171/109. If there is more than 1 John Macey, you are looking for a 6digit service number, starting with a 1. My guess is that he entered the navy as a boy (15-18) and was still serving in 1914 (due for pension in 1916). His service record will be in ADM 188, if he was not serving 1914-1918 there are indexes in the ADM 188 series, but you need to know when he started serving, my guess is 1894 or earlier.

I hope that makes sence to you.

Fred

• 12 years later...

Sue

A little late to the party (12 years on!) however I happen to own a WW1 memorial plinth  removed from an old Southampton church that contains the name of Walter Macey. "The souls of the righteous are in the hands of God" .   I can send you a photo should you wish & ever read this :)

J

• 1 year later...

Also replying late (13 years after the original post).  Sue, did you get all the info you needed on Valiant II?  I have been researching the same yacht, which helps was eventually renamed Hellas, and was sunk in Piraeus harbor (Athens) in 1941 while attempting to medivac wounded troops following a failed campaign against the Germans in Greece.  My farther was onboard, and was one of the few survivors, he was hospitalized in Athens, then captured and taken To Germany as a POW for the remainder of the war.   If you want more info I can provide.

• 2 years later...