Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

yperman

LMG comparison

yperman

Good morning,

The YouTube channels 'Forgotten weapons; and C&Rsenal' are jointly running a series of shows called 'Project Lightning' which consist of range tests of all the LMGs of the Great War  including accuracy prone, firing and walking, field stripping etc. I find their fascinating and recommend them to anyone interested in infantry weapons.

ServiceRumDiluted

Gun Jesus and Gun Buddha, Truly the dream team!

Mark Finneran

It is good those 3 repeatedly say a ‘modern’ take on the wpns because they consistently use ‘modern’ assessments and hindsight on pieces 100 years old. Yes an extremely interesting set of programmes but I have to say comparing each weapon that had different roles, and differing entry into service needs some artistic assessment. Thanks for highlighting though as I had missed this on YouTube. I assume all 3 tested all weapons each?  The only other comment is if the period service manuals are to be believed, II do not see the word LIGHT being used in official documentation...at that time. So again the word LMG and it’s application arguably is a post-WWI tag.

Mark

yperman
On 02/03/2019 at 18:19, Mark Finneran said:

It is good those 3 repeatedly say a ‘modern’ take on the wpns because they consistently use ‘modern’ assessments and hindsight on pieces 100 years old. Yes an extremely interesting set of programmes but I have to say comparing each weapon that had different roles, and differing entry into service needs some artistic assessment. Thanks for highlighting though as I had missed this on YouTube. I assume all 3 tested all weapons each?  The only other comment is if the period service manuals are to be believed, II do not see the word LIGHT being used in official documentation...at that time. So again the word LMG and it’s application arguably is a post-WWI tag.

Mark

I agree it is a modern take on the guns. Nor do they look at how their use changed in the Great War - the British 'all arms' platoon of 1918 with a Lewis section for example. Despite this C&Rsenal are systematically working their way through all the small arms of the Great War and I find their 45 min shows really interesting in how and why weapons were created and evolved.