Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding an Irish soldier with little information

Pannell2018

Few years back I did my family tree and through my own research and help from you amazing lot I found quite a bit out. I have hit a major challenge now with one of my relatives I know nothing really about and my great aunt can't remember about her dad.

A long shot as they're Irish records so I assume most have been destroyed but I'm after any war info on the following gentleman

William Murphy from Dublin Ireland married to Ellen brophy

Born around 1887

Lived at 15 Gordon's place, Fitzwilliam then later 30 charlemont street

A daughter called Margaret born 1918

The birth of a Margaret Murphy to a William Murphy and Ellen, nee Brophy, was registered in South Dublin in 1915. Date of her birth 12 April. Place of birth 4 McGees Court. William Murphy is given as a labourer.

In 1912 this couple had a son, Michael Daniel Murphy. Address at that time was 27 Mercer Street.

They had married on 24 September 1911 and the address was then 15 Gordons Place. Looks like your man and his family.

Edited by Chris_Baker

A man named William Murphy, with a wife named Ellen but living in Liverpool at the time, had a brief period of service (Nov 1914 to May 1915) as Pte 17393 of the East Lancashire Regiment. He's much older than a man born in 1887 and is probably a red herring.

Edited by Chris_Baker

This is the marriage Chris found

murphy-marriage.jpg.e05175a61d35e31aa17914fcf7686c1c.jpg

And in 1911 census in Dublin at Gordons place, and Ellen is the lodger

murphy-1911.jpg.9a6bbd677b9c3325619879caf8f8a6dc.jpg

Margaret was in fact born in 1915 and William does not appear to have enlisted at this time

margaret-1915.jpg.11f44f8a1a75c9eebbcc9a188fbbec7a.jpg

It is possible that Margaret died and another was born later with the same name. But I cannot find a likely death in Dublin 1915 to 1919

There were no children born to them in Dublin in 1916, and the online records stop then

Any children born to them in 1917 or 1918 may yield info on William at that time and possibly his regiment

An Ancestry tree (presumably yours) gives your 1918 Margaret as their first child, which I think is unlikely as they married in 1911. Chris points out they had a son in 1912

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my gosh I am sorry I have ignored everyone I have had no notification come up at all any of you messaged I am so sorry. Yes the one with Margaret is my great grandparents you have also solved another mystery my name told us she had a brother called daniel who had died and I could never find him. Now I know why it's because he was called Michael Daniel which makes perfect sense because my man and most if her siblings and my aunt all get called by a different name to their birth name.

On 23/02/2019 at 09:35, Chris_Baker said:

The birth of a Margaret Murphy to a William Murphy and Ellen, nee Brophy, was registered in South Dublin in 1915. Date of her birth 12 April. Place of birth 4 McGees Court. William Murphy is given as a labourer.

In 1912 this couple had a son, Michael Daniel Murphy. Address at that time was 27 Mercer Street.

They had married on 24 September 1911 and the address was then 15 Gordons Place. Looks like your man and his family.

Yes this is them and you've solved he mystery over "Daniel" too

On 22/02/2019 at 23:00, depaor01 said:

A regimental number and or regiment would help if possible. 

Dave

No my great aunt bless her is in her late 90s and can't remember any of it which is why I'm struggling so much.

On 23/02/2019 at 13:08, corisande said:

It is possible that Margaret died and another was born later with the same name. But I cannot find a likely death in Dublin 1915 to 1919

There were no children born to them in Dublin in 1916, and the online records stop then

Any children born to them in 1917 or 1918 may yield info on William at that time and possibly his regiment

An Ancestry tree (presumably yours) gives your 1918 Margaret as their first child, which I think is unlikely as they married in 1911. Chris points out they had a son in 1912

I won't lie this is a challenging one because the only living person is their daughter Mary who is in her 90s and can't remember anything, most of them are known by a different name to us family members and we're shocked to find their birth names AND dates if births were different to what they celebrated. God knows why because they were with their birth parents so it's not like they were adopted out and given new names and birth dates

On 23/02/2019 at 13:08, corisande said:

How would I go about finding out all the children they had as I knowm any records were destroyed. My name was born in 1920 and has at least 4 siblings younger that I've actually known