Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4th Dorset Regiment

Simon J Emmerson

Hi Folks. I've a postcard of the 1/4th Dorset Regiment titled off to Bivouac, taken in 1914. At the Head of the column is a mounted officer. Written on the back of the card it says  Lt Col Wheatley? Can anyone please confirm that it is Lt Col Wheatley 

Regards Simon. 

20190222_150354.jpg

20190222_150506.jpg

It says "off to Lulworth" on the photo ! There was a military camp there. Mounted officer sleeve bands = Lt Colonel.

I see two officers named Wheatley with Dorsets on Medal Cards, both Lieutenants during the war. MS served in India and had the IGSM + Malabar clasp. JF is likely to have been 1/4 Dorsets as he is shown as landing in a war zone in Mesopotamia in Dec 1916. 1/4 was sent to India in Oct 1914, landing there in Nov 1914. Went to Mespot in Feb 1916 for the duration of the war.

You can trawl through Hart's Army Lists free online for 1914, there are TF pages as well as Regular Army, with names of Officers shown. I imagine that this Officer did not see overseas service but he should be listed if he was with the Regiment. I looked at Nov 1914 List and couldn't see him, so you might like to try earlier months.

Edited by sotonmate

Looking (briefly) at the History of the Dorsetshire Regiment (various authors), in the list of Honours and Rewards, 2 Wheatleys mentioned - F.G. (holder of the V.D.) Lt Col, late 4th Dorsets, and M.J. Major, mentions and Egyptian decorations.

Edwin