Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marital status on Pension Card

TEW

Second card I've located that shows marital status as 'single' when I know the man was married. Could they be taking that info from his attestation or other service records?

His MIC shows only Class Z (no date). I know he was wounded Sept 1917 and he was at Seale Hayne Oct 1918. Married in Newton Abbot 4th Qtr 1918. Pension commenced 19/2/1919 Neurasthenia.

TEW

A soldier was supposed to declare an existing or intended marriage to his CO and obtain his permission. If he didn't, the Army regarded him as single and he wasn't entitled to any of the concurrent financial benefits (such as a widow's pension, or a separation allowance) even though the marriage was perfectly legal in the eyes of the State and the Church. His marriage seems to have taken place around the time of the Armistice, which may possibly be why he didn't bother to inform the Army.

Ron

Ron- a little sidelight on this- I have just posted a biog. of 2Lt Charles Abercrombie McGavin,KRRC- he failed to declare an illegitimate child on his Attestation in 1914-though he married the mother the next year and they had 2 further children together. But after his death in 1917, his wife got a pension for all 3 children- I suspect the wrong details on his Attestation were overlooked. Though,technically, I suppose  he could posthumously have been deprived of mdeals and pension for the false attestation. Craig, where are you when we need you??