Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death plaque to man with Alias Name

kmad

Hi 

I have come across records on the CWGC website that cites the name of the dead man as an alias

when I go looking for the man with the true family name as recommended by CWGC records I can find no one with that name

Can anyone give any opinion or advice as to what is going on 

The medals awarded were to the Alias name.

thanks for any help

Ken 

diver doc.pdf

Hi Tom

How are things down in Tipp.

I had some of the bayonets I purchased off you out the other night (that must be 8 years or so as my daughter was just a baby!)

time flies.

Thanks for the quick info 

is this unusual to have a man with an acknowledged Alias, the name on his medals and Plaque are the Alias name

Must be a good story behind this 

Regards

ken 

• Admin

Ken

The spreadsheet I have downloaded from CWGC has 3550 aliases recorded on it. In your case the deception will have been discovered after the soldier's death, probably when the next of kin was contacted, The medals will have been issued to the name under which the soldier served and sadly died.

All these men will have had a story attached, some may have been simple, others very involved. It will be interesting to learn the one behind your man.

Regards

David

Hello Ken. long time no hear. Its a long time since I sold stuff. I was rubbish at it so I gave it up. Was it in the Curragh you purchased them?

Your man was born in Newtownards, County Down and enlisted in Perth. Alias's are usually listed under their real name with more info in the CWGC. 

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hi Tom

Yes it was at the race course

I traveled down to you one and visited your house, i think that was 10 years ago as it was just before our son was born 

the women folk were left to talk and i purchased a detonator box off you 

Regards

ken 

ps i worked with your cousin in Maynooth

Now I remember you, Maynooth College if my memory recalls. For those of you who have these WW1 exploder boxes you will be interested that Ken told be that they give a small charge, about 3 Volts. I said would it straighten your hair? He says no and proved it by putting his fingers across the terminals and winding the winder. His hair remained straight. Now there is a brave man!