Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Declared fit for active duty

andrew pugh

Hi

Could anyone explain the process that a soldier went through after being declared fit for active duty My Great Uncle had been wounded twice during his war service, he was a Royal Fusilier and his 2nd wounding occurred on the 13th November 1916, up on the Redan Ridge.This is documented on a casualty list that we have.I am trying to find out when he was wounded the first time, no records survive to give a date of this wounding.However we think we may have a clue, we have evidence showing that he was at Dover with the 5th (Reserve) Battalion Royal Fusiliers on the 28/10/1916, where he wrote out his Informal Army Will .We suspect that he was wounded prior to that date and was sent there after being declared fit for active duty after the wounding. And because he may have been away from his original battalion for some time recovering, he would not have known the location where he left it, and possibly because of this he was sent to Dover to the 5th Reserve Battalion Royal Fusiliers to join a draft of men to return to the front.

He landed in France on the 4th December 1914.The question I would like to know is this.If a soldier had been wounded and shipped back to the UK, once he had been declared fit for active duty and owing to the amount of time recovering ,would he have made his way back to France.I personally don't think so, or would he as  private of the Royal Fusilier of the City of London Regiment been sent to the the Reserve Battalion at Dover.Is this possible?.What was the process of a soldier returning to the front after being wounded? We are pretty sure he had not been on Home leave because after a soldiers leave had finished he would have made his way back using his travel warrant ( Chitty) to join his battalion if he could find it. We suspect he may have been wounded some time between the time he landed in France on the 4th December 1914 and the time he was in Dover on the 28th October 1916.What do you think?

Regards

Andy

Hi,

Are you asking whether a recovered wounded (and or sick) soldier treated in England made his own way back to his previous Battalion in France/Belgium?

I’m afraid the Army were rather more organised then that. On recovery from wounds or sickness and discharge form hospital, Convalescent home or other medical facility the soldier was usually granted home leave with an instruction to report to his Regimental Reserve Battalion. He might stay with his Reserve Battalion, under going further training,  for an indeterminate period depending on the number of recovered soldiers there and the need for reinforcement drafts.

Once selected for a reinforcement draft the soldier would proceed to a port of embarkation and after crossing the channel would arrive at an Infantry Base Depot and might be held there, under going further training,  for a further indeterminate time pending despatch to a Battalion at the front. He might even be transferred to another Regiment while at the IBD before being sent to the front. Similalry even if he wasn’t transferred elsewhere, as the war progressed, there was no guarantee that the soldier would be returned to the Battalion where he was serving when wounded.

Steve

7 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi

Could anyone explain the process that a soldier went through after being declared fit for active duty My Great Uncle had been wounded twice during his war service, he was a Royal Fusilier and his 2nd wounding occurred on the 13th November 1916, up on the Redan Ridge.This is documented on a casualty list that we have.I am trying to find out when he was wounded the first time, no records survive to give a date of this wounding.However we think we may have a clue, we have evidence showing that he was at Dover with the 5th (Reserve) Battalion Royal Fusiliers on the 28/10/1916, where he wrote out his Informal Army Will .We suspect that he was wounded prior to that date and was sent there after being declared fit for active duty after the wounding. And because he may have been away from his original battalion for some time recovering, he would not have known the location where he left it, and possibly because of this he was sent to Dover to the 5th Reserve Battalion Royal Fusiliers to join a draft of men to return to the front. 

He landed in France on the 4th December 1914.The question I would like to know is this.If a soldier had been wounded and shipped back to the UK, once he had been declared fit for active duty and owing to the amount of time recovering ,would he have made his way back to France.I personally don't think so, or would he as  private of the Royal Fusilier of the City of London Regiment been sent to the the Reserve Battalion at Dover.Is this possible?.What was the process of a soldier returning to the front after being wounded? We are pretty sure he had not been on Home leave because after a soldiers leave had finished he would have made his way back using his travel warrant ( Chitty) to join his battalion if he could find it. We suspect he may have been wounded some time between the time he landed in France on the 4th December 1914 and the time he was in Dover on the 28th October 1916.What do you think? 

Regards 

Andy 

Can you give his name and number ?

Craig

Good Morning to you Both.

Thank you for your replies. His name is Private SR/9571 Henry John Morrell Royal Fusiliers City of London Regiment.He landed in France on the 4/12/1914 and joined the 1st Battalion and was transferred to the 24th Battalion and the 4th Battalion and was reverted back to the 24th Battalion (2nd Sportsmen) and was killed 24/03/1918. We don't have any dates regarding these movements between the battalions. The explanation given by Steve is exactly what i wanted to hear. Thank you both.

Regards

Andy 

7 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Good Morning to you Both.

Thank you for your replies. His name is Private SR/9571 Henry John Morrell Royal Fusiliers City of London Regiment.He landed in France on the 4/12/1914 and joined the 1st Battalion and was transferred to the 24th Battalion and the 4th Battalion and was reverted back to the 24th Battalion (2nd Sportsmen) and was killed 24/03/1918. We don't have any dates regarding these movements between the battalions. The explanation given by Steve is exactly what i wanted to hear. Thank you both.

Regards

Andy 

You’re welcome.

Steve