Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

battle of loos

Loos - Lone Tree 1915/2019

Recommended Posts

battle of loos

Good evening,

 

Here are some pictures of the Lone Tree made this afternoon :

 

DSC_0110.JPG.cfeaabdf8c0cd94a1112585006efafde.JPGDSC_0111.JPG.13e988ce1a760346e93cf65db1cd79d9.JPGDSC_0112.JPG.366d327575326ef20e99859f332ca90c.JPG

 

:poppy:

 

Kind regards

 

Michel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle Young

Many thanks Michel, always like to see how the tree is faring. It's recovered well from having a load of branches sawn off a few years ago. I will see it next in April.

 

Michelle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DorsetDan

Thanks for posting the pictures Michel , the Loos battlefield is a very special place .

 

Martin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle Young

Couldn't agree more Martin.

 

Michelle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fattyowls

Merci bien Michel.

 

Pete.

 

P.S. In photo 2 is that Hulluch on the right horizon? I thought I would ask as I have the attention of the friends of Lone Tree Loos.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
battle of loos
2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Many thanks Michel, always like to see how the tree is faring. It's recovered well from having a load of branches sawn off a few years ago. I will see it next in April. 

 

Michelle 

Good evening,


The tree is full of buds.

 

:poppy:

 

regards

 

michel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMB1943

Dear Michel,

 

Thank you for posting those wonderful photos of Lone Tree and the countryside.

 

My grandfather C.E. Ballard (C Coy; survived) and his cousin Frederick Adams (D Coy; b. 3-Feb-1898; d. 13-Oct-15) both served in 2nd Bn. Royal Sussex Regt on the Western Front.

Thanks to the kindness of a fellow member (Mandy Hall) doing some research at West Sussex Records Office, I have learned some details of young Frederick's burial.

"Frederick Adams is shown as died of wounds, Hulluch (Hulluch is on the Loos Battlefield) The next bit is really interesting, place of burial is recorded as, in front of old German line near new RAMC dug out 70 yards from Lone Tree."

The family story (from my grandfather) is that Fred was shot in the head by a German sniper during his first week in the trenches. He was recorded as died of wounds, so presumably was still alive when delivered to the aid station.

Another member of the forum (woollamc) kindly provided the following information: According to the CWGC Concentration Report, Frederick Adams' body was recovered from Map Reference 36c.G.24.a.2.4 - which is close to Lone Tree.

He was subsequently reburied in Dud Corner Cemetery.

I have his stamp collection in an old battered book.

 

Amicalement,

JMB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
battle of loos
2 hours ago, DorsetDan said:

Thanks for posting the pictures Michel , the Loos battlefield is a very special place .

 

Martin 

good evening,

 

I live in Loos.
I have enough to go for a walk on the old battlefield between the plain and Hill 70.

 

:poppy:

 

regards

 

michek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
battle of loos
41 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Merci bien Michel.

 

Pete.

 

P.S. In photo 2 is that Hulluch on the right horizon? I thought I would ask as I have the attention of the friends of Lone Tree Loos.

 

 

good evening,

 

his is the new picture with the village :

 

DSC_0111.JPG.13e988ce1a760346e93cf65db1cd79d9.jpg.d5e90f07fe6be7c03c6c9a841c4af6cd.jpg

 

regards

:poppy:

michel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
battle of loos
15 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Dear Michel,

 

Thank you for posting those wonderful photos of Lone Tree and the countryside.

 

My grandfather C.E. Ballard (C Coy; survived) and his cousin Frederick Adams (D Coy; b. 3-Feb-1898; d. 13-Oct-15) both served in 2nd Bn. Royal Sussex Regt on the Western Front.

Thanks to the kindness of a fellow member (Mandy Hall) doing some research at West Sussex Records Office, I have learned some details of young Frederick's burial.

"Frederick Adams is shown as died of wounds, Hulluch (Hulluch is on the Loos Battlefield) The next bit is really interesting, place of burial is recorded as, in front of old German line near new RAMC dug out 70 yards from Lone Tree."

The family story (from my grandfather) is that Fred was shot in the head by a German sniper during his first week in the trenches. He was recorded as died of wounds, so presumably was still alive when delivered to the aid station.

Another member of the forum (woollamc) kindly provided the following information: According to the CWGC Concentration Report, Frederick Adams' body was recovered from Map Reference 36c.G.24.a.2.4 - which is close to Lone Tree.

He was subsequently reburied in Dud Corner Cemetery.

I have his stamp collection in an old battered book.

 

Amicalement,

JMB 

Good evening,

 

I will search the field for the position where he has been treated.
He was certainly buried in a provisional cemetery not far from there on the German line before being transferred to the dud corner during his post-war creation.

 

:poppy:

 

Kind regards

 

Michel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fattyowls

Merci beaucoup Michel, très aimable.

 

Pete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
battle of loos
9 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Merci beaucoup Michel, très aimable.

 

Pete.

 

good Morning,

 

no problem  :thumbsup:

 

:poppy:

 

regards

 

michel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle Young

@JMB1943 did you lay a wreath at the tree and at Dud Corner? It's always nice to see that people have visited the tree, we normally tidy away the old wreaths on each September 25th and tidy up the area around the tree. 

 

Michelle 

11 hours ago, battle of loos said:

Good evening,


The tree is full of buds.

 

:poppy:

 

regards

 

michel

Last year we were able to eat some of the fruit, it was very good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
battle of loos
11 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Dear Michel,

 

Thank you for posting those wonderful photos of Lone Tree and the countryside.

 

My grandfather C.E. Ballard (C Coy; survived) and his cousin Frederick Adams (D Coy; b. 3-Feb-1898; d. 13-Oct-15) both served in 2nd Bn. Royal Sussex Regt on the Western Front.

Thanks to the kindness of a fellow member (Mandy Hall) doing some research at West Sussex Records Office, I have learned some details of young Frederick's burial.

"Frederick Adams is shown as died of wounds, Hulluch (Hulluch is on the Loos Battlefield) The next bit is really interesting, place of burial is recorded as, in front of old German line near new RAMC dug out 70 yards from Lone Tree."

The family story (from my grandfather) is that Fred was shot in the head by a German sniper during his first week in the trenches. He was recorded as died of wounds, so presumably was still alive when delivered to the aid station.

Another member of the forum (woollamc) kindly provided the following information: According to the CWGC Concentration Report, Frederick Adams' body was recovered from Map Reference 36c.G.24.a.2.4 - which is close to Lone Tree.

He was subsequently reburied in Dud Corner Cemetery.

I have his stamp collection in an old battered book.

 

Amicalement,

JMB

good Morning,

 

Here's a map overlay of the lone tree area.
One of 1915 and Google Earth.


1900558851_Loos25sept19152-Copie.jpg.a9f09ae5a66769c93081b68206c530f1.jpg

1494624433_lonetree.jpg.0baceb2b8058eee0ce8f3408210f95f9.jpg

 

button - title Coming from the field :

 

DSC_0087.thumb.JPG.48e89bf9d1c32c1162c0a9fbbbffe0cf.JPG

 

regards

:poppy:

michel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
battle of loos
55 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

@JMB1943 did you lay a wreath at the tree and at Dud Corner? It's always nice to see that people have visited the tree, we normally tidy away the old wreaths on each September 25th and tidy up the area around the tree

 

Michelle 

Last year we were able to eat some of the fruit, it was very good. 

good Morning,

 

Currently there are two crowns at Lone Tree.

 

:poppy:

michel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle Young

Michel,

One will be the Glosters one laid by my husband on September 25th last year, the other one looks like the SAS one laid by our friend Nick Christian last August. 

 

Michelle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMB1943
3 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

@JMB1943 did you lay a wreath at the tree and at Dud Corner? It's always nice to see that people have visited the tree, we normally tidy away the old wreaths on each September 25th and tidy up the area around the tree. 

 

Michelle 

Last year we were able to eat some of the fruit, it was very good. 

 

Michelle,

 

‘Twas not I, so to speak but I do wish well to whoever laid those wreaths.

Thank you and your husband for keeping the area around the tree in good shape.

It’s wonderful that the tree is thriving, but my tree recognition is not very good, so you will have to tell me 

what is the fruit that it bears.

 

Regards,

JMB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle Young

It's a cherry tree, we left plenty of fruit for the birds! I can't wait to get out again to the area. 

 

Michelle 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMB1943

Michel,

 

Thank you so much for your efforts in making those map views available.

They help me to visualize young Fred’s surroundings during the last few days of his life.

The Royal Sussex finds are especially poignant and wonderful to see.

 

Amicalement,

JMB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
battle of loos

good Morning,

 

I went to the Dud Corner this afternoon to take pictures.
I did not find a tomb in the name of:

But a man named ADAMS William.
Did Frederic have a second name?
The regiment corresponds as well as the date.

If it is him, it indicates that he is missing.

 

DSC_0080.JPG.f176c659f444fd75c218af8be31c1f75.JPGDSC_0083.JPG.b4ac1a2d21280b11ceb16867a41f03ec.JPGDSC_0082.JPG.630522e407d7c125a1664329b084c54d.JPGDSC_0081.JPG.2a164150d1311516d3948dbd51254c97.JPG

 

Kind regards

:poppy:

Michel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle Young

I think he’s buried in plot 4. 

 

Michelle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gilles

Bonjour Michelle

 

beau reportage sur lone tree

 

gilles Loos sur les traces de la grande guerre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMB1943
On 21/02/2019 at 13:18, Michelle Young said:

I think he’s buried in plot 4. 

 

Michelle 

 

Michel,

 

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission gives his Memorial as IV. G. 16.

I would be very pleased if you could take a photograph of that.

 

Amicalement,

JMB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
battle of loos
On 02/03/2019 at 17:50, JMB1943 said:

 

Michel,

 

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission gives his Memorial as IV. G. 16.

I would be very pleased if you could take a photograph of that.

 

Amicalement,

JMB

 

good evening,

 

this is the picture about the grave in Dud Corner :

 

DSC_0095.JPG.eb63a62ced724215fd07725f8139e853.JPG

 

regards

 

:poppy:

 

michel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMB1943

Michel,

 

Yes, that is young Fred’s (L/10699) grave!

Thank you so much for taking your time to photograph his headstone.

It is a pleasure to see that the cemeteries and graves are so well tended.

 

Amicalement,

JMB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...