Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A/Bdr R Clifton, D/232 RFA, died 12 Oct 1917

Ron Clifton

I don't know if this man is a relative, but he may be, as he is from my father's neck of the woods. He is buried in a named grave at Tyne Cot, in grave XXVIII.H.18 (near one of the bunkers).

I have downloaded the War Diary for the relevant period but it is not very helpful, and in particular is very faded. It looks as if he was killed in the First Battle of Passchendaele, or died after having been wounded in either the Battle of Broodseinde or the Battle of Poelcapelle. At the time the brigade was an Army Brigade, attached to one of the Anzac Corps, but neither Volume 1917 ** of the Official History (which is lousy as regards the artillery anyway) nor Farndale's History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery throws any light on the period.

I don't have access to Ancestry but I would welcome suggestions for other areas to explore. Can anyone help please? In particular, anyone with the RFA volume of SDGW may be able to tell me whether he was KIA or DOW.

Thanks in anticipation,

Ron

Many thanks, bordercollie!

It looks as if he was killed on the first day of First Passchendaele. I will have a closer look at the diary to see if I can decipher the entry.

Ron

Edit: the diary entry for 12 Oct reads (in part) "D Battery heavily shelled for 4 hrs during barrage. 26 casualties."

Edited by Ron Clifton

His number, L/27461, puts him enlisting in 164th Rotherham (Howitzer) Brigade RFA in early June 1915. Looks like he was in D (H)/164 on February 13, 1916, when it became R/4 West Riding Brigade (or D (H)/248). D (H)/248 became D (H)/247 on May 21, 1916. D (H)/247 was broken up to D (H)/150 and D (H)/232 around January 5, 1917.

Thanks very much, David!

It is some time since I last saw the grave but I had a hazy recollection that the stone referred to one of the West Riding TF brigades. Your information confirms this, and gives me a much clearer idea of his service. The breaking up of D(H)/247 coincides in time with the redesignation of 232 as an Army Field Artillery Brigade. 

Ron

• 8 months later...

Just happened to come across this post. I believe that the R Clifton you are searching for is my Grandfather's brother, Robert. He lived in Kimberley and had a brother, Albert, who died of his injuries from The War in 1921, he has a gravestone in Kimberley cemetery. Have you established a connection? 
kathy

Welcome to the Forum Kathy,

According to the Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929, his widow was Mary E. Clifton. Is that any help?

On 20/02/2019 at 18:39, Ron Clifton said:

I don't know if this man is a relative, but he may be

17 hours ago, Kathy said:

I believe that the R Clifton you are searching for is my Grandfather's brother, Robert.

13 hours ago, David Porter said:

According to the Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929, his widow was Mary E. Clifton.

Ron/Kathy

Thanks to the Western Front Association / Ancestry (Fold 3) there is a Pension Card for CLIFTON, Robert L/27461, A/Bdr,  RFA D.232 Bde

Widow: Mary E[unclear] at 13 The Avenue, New Village, Bentley, Doncaster [or poss. 13 The Avenue, Bentley New Village, Doncaster]

There are five (5) children so these perhaps may perhaps help link to one or both of yours families

Gladys b. 10.11.07

Robert Alfred b. 18.12.09

Leonard b. 12.1.12

Cecil b. 28.10.14

Albert b. 28.1.16

£5 grant pd 15.11.17 - 37/11 per week pension awarded 1.5.18 to his widow Mary E

Looks like she died - Dead 1934

Bombabier R. Clifton RFA  photograph from the Doncaster Gazette 16th November 1917 page 3. Your man I believe. Regards. Jim.

Clifton R.  Bmdr  RGA.  Don Gaz 16th Nov 1917 page 3.jpeg

Many thanks, Jim!

My grandfather's family is from Halifax but Robert may well be a brother or cousin. My GF was conscripted into the York & Lancaster Regt (before being transferred, via the Labour Corps, into the Royal Engineers) and the Y&L recruited mainly from South Yorkshire. I must have another look at the census records for 1901 and 1911 to see if I can find Robert.

Ron

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for the information on Robert Clifton. I am so pleased to see a photograph, I have not seen this before, he looks like my Grandad. 
kathy

14 hours ago, Kathy said:

Thank you so much for the information on Robert Clifton. I am so pleased to see a photograph

Photo of his grave headstone courtesy of Find a Grave

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11167185/r-clifton 

An earlier thread - also circulating recently

Thank you everyone for your help. I didn't have the photo of his grave either. His brother, Albert, is buried in Kimberley cemetery, he died later, as a result of his injuries but does have a Commonwealth War grave. I did reply to the other post but the poster is no longer a member so I don't think it will go any further.  

1 hour ago, Kathy said:

His brother, Albert, is buried in Kimberley cemetery, he died later, as a result of his injuries but does have a Commonwealth War grave.

Do you have a photo of Albert's grave? You might, but then again you might not.

Think this might be it but without a service no. can't be sure, but think it probably is.

Once again thanks to FaG

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/169311444/albert-clifton