Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Clearing Station Wound Classifications

HolymoleyRE

Dear GWF Pals, 

In the admissions records for No 3 Casualty Clearing Station in the Diseases column there are differing classifications. 

GSW, I know... But it is followed by a roman numeral and then a number. 

Does anybody know what the numerals relate too? And presuming the following "number" is the number of wounds? 

Regards 

Andy 

IMG_20190220_152400.jpg

They're listed in the inside front cover of the book your example came from. I think the 'following' number is a sub-group of the Roman numeral. or VIII/I would be another way of writing it.

TEW

47 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Andy

This may answer it for you.

Regards

David

45 minutes ago, TEW said:

They're listed in the inside front cover of the book your example came from. I think the 'following' number is a sub-group of the Roman numeral. or VIII/I would be another way of writing it.

TEW

Thanks for the swift response...and helps enormously.. 

The men I am interested in were 9th Platoon, C Company, 14th RIR Privates George Gillespie and Thomas Owens Halliday.... Both received lower leg GSW wounds on the 1st July 1916, and were purported to be the two men wounded when William McFadzean through himself on the bombs.... The two medical reports from No 3 CCS give strong circumstancial evidence to suggest they were the two.

Regards 

Andy 

Andy,

I checked the 3CCS records for the 2 men and see that Gillespie's wound was IX-4 so my suggestion re Roman numerals was a bit out.

If it helps with your theory the Puchevillers CCS group (3 & 44) were the correct ones for 36 Div. men to be sent to, coming under X Corps arrangements. For 1/7/16 the DDMS X corps says that wounded from 36 & 32 Divs. were heavy but mainly classed as 'slight' as they were due to rifle bullet, shell wounds being few in number. Your two men don't seem to fit that explanation.

TEW