Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trenches to see in Somme area

ForeignGong

Hi All

Are there any trenches to see in the Somme area or around Ypres. I will be there in two weeks with my wife cousin who has very little knowledge of WW1. I know the Passchendale Museum has a mock up set of trenches but I would like to see some original ones myself.

Thanks in anticipation

Peter

On the Somme the Newfoundland Memorial Park is the place to go to see trenches.  Drop in at Avril Williams’ Tea Rooms afterwards,  she has uncovered a trench system st the rear of her property.

• Admin

There's some short stretches at Sheffield Memorial Park at Serre, also at the Caribou at Gueudecourt. Also Thiepval Wood has a trench system ( booking required) The French sector also has some I believe. @CROONAERT will be able to help you with them.

Michelle 

Preserved battle field area just south of the Somme (Cow Wood), near Frise, which also enjoys beautiful views across the Somme valley and the British battlefields to the north; not far away, to the south, a small preserved area at Soyecourt.

6 hours ago, nigelcave said:

Preserved battle field area just south of the Somme (Cow Wood), near Frise, which also enjoys beautiful views across the Somme valley and the British battlefields to the north; not far away, to the south, a small preserved area at Soyecourt.

Thank you

Some trenches also still visible at Delville Wood.

12 hours ago, nigelcave said:

The 'Bois des Vaches' is presumably the area close to the river to the west of Frise marked on google satellite as the Belvedere?

Edited by horrocks

Found this up behind High Wood last year.  It is where the local farmers take the stuff that comes up from ‘The Iron Harvest’.

3B2006F2-22FB-4C3A-9752-0F1A38939921.jpeg

B35BE679-FD0A-40EB-B65A-5F16ACCA68E5.jpeg

This is Teddy Corrigan from the Ulster Tower giving one of his tours of Thiepval Wood.

E8A79771-8BB5-4EC3-BE6A-975E2D002871.png

04773AE0-8EDF-46D0-B96F-930CBFEEA7AD.png

33F5575C-9DAA-4F18-9638-AFCD0E9A620E.png

4 hours ago, horrocks said:

The 'Bois des Vaches' is presumably the area close to the river to the west of Frise marked on google satellite as the Belvedere?

Yep - this is the Frise belvedere and, north of the river and towards the top of the bend, there is Vaux belvedere.

4 hours ago, Ghazala said:

Found this up behind High Wood last year.  It is where the local farmers take the stuff that comes up from ‘The Iron Harvest’.

3B2006F2-22FB-4C3A-9752-0F1A38939921.jpeg

Ghazala, what time of year were those pictures taken? 

How does one contact the people at the Ulster Tower for a tour? Do these run regularly or by special arrangement only?

Edited by Michael Thomson
Additional questions

First week in September.  I am there then every year then and stay with a lovely French couple at La Battery Valley Farm at Grandcourt.  It is a working dairy farm and Mereille runs the B&B side.  Lovely comfortable rooms and a cooked breakfast each day.  I would not stay anywhere else now.   If you find a friendly farmer he will let you walk behind his tractor.  Great fun and amazing what comes up every year but you have to be very careful.

Teddy and Phoebe have left the Ulster Tower now but the new people will be running regular tours into Thiepval Wood.  You can book when you arrive or contact them through their website.

27D22B0D-C47A-44DB-920B-5D4E2A9F2DBD.png

5844F88A-3EB4-4D42-A855-B15CC4A5AC43.png

CD7C0FE8-C346-4665-8EC8-BFDE9074183C.png

F85EC584-DFB0-400C-8F24-5B67B6134582.png

Thank you for the excellent reply Ghazala.

That accommodation sounds fantastic. We were in the area in the second week of September 2017 - we got to experience a tiny taste of the famous Somme mud as it rained a lot that week! The reason I ask is that I believe certain times of year are better to see the results of the 'iron harvest' than others and it looks like that was a particularly 'productive' harvest right there!

I'll look for the Ulster Tower website, a tour such as the one you posted pictures of looks very interesting. Those trenches are remarkably well preserved/recreated and it would make for a fascinating visit.

I have only been on the Ulster Tower trip once with Terry, very knowledgeable and anecdotal, T and P will be missed but then we all have to retire somewhen. The trenches excavated give a good insight as do the marks in the soil of the Fields the opposite side of the valley. Definite and clear when we visited and have been past many times visiting great uncle in Connaught and not seen the opposite trenches so season does help.

To throw another spanner in the works, have you considered the tunnels at Vimy Ridge or Arras? The names and numbers carved into the chalk walls span both world wars (certainly at Vimy) and both sides, I found them fascinating.

Simon

13 hours ago, chaz said:

T and P will be missed but then we all have to retire somewhen. 

I wonder if Phoebe took her cat home to Belfast.

8178BAA0-A1A5-40DE-9319-BB666DFDFFF7.png

Once again thank you for your input, time is going to be the ruling factor. I have now a couple to choose from and will see how we go.

Many thanks to everyone who answered.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2019 at 15:01, Ghazala said:

I wonder if the CD dates from the 1916, the 1917, or the 1918 fighting...

...and who the artist is?

On 04/03/2019 at 19:33, horrocks said:

Looks like an angle grinder disc to me.

I think anyone looking for trench remains on the western front has to consider the extra drive to Massiges in the Champagne. I'd also recommend the summit of Hartmannzwillerkopf. Both of these are in states of originality unlike anywhere I can think of in the British sectors.

Edited by ServiceRumDiluted

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 19:33, horrocks said:

5 minutes ago, ServiceRumDiluted said:

Looks like an angle grinder disc to me.

It looks like a pusher plate from a shrapnel shell, which given the context would make more sense:

Image result for ww1 shell pusher plate

Image result for ww1 shell pusher plate

Edited by Andrew Upton