Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own)

j2sea2002

I am trying to find information on my Grandfather William Henry Smith this is the only information I have been able to find so far.
Birth year 1870
Birth parish Camberwell
Birth town London
Birth county Surrey
Birth country England
Service number 9286
Regiment Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own)
Year 1888
Attestation date 11 Jan 1888
Attestation age years 18
Attestation age months 11
Attestation service number 9286
Attestation corps Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort'S Own)

I believe that he fought in the Great War but can't find any information about his service record. I would be really grateful if someone could help please.

GBM_WO97_5958_181_001.jpg

I have found in TNA's Discovery catalogue a 6245 Smith, William Henry who was a Company Sergeant Major in the King's Royal Rifle Corps (the only William Henry Smith with "rifle" in his unit), but there's not enough information to tell whether this is an accurate match or not.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6222073

10 hours ago, seaJane said:

I have found in TNA's Discovery catalogue a 6245 Smith, William Henry who was a Company Sergeant Major in the King's Royal Rifle Corps (the only William Henry Smith with "rifle" in his unit), but there's not enough information to tell whether this is an accurate match or not.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6222073

6245 CSM William Henry SMITH served in 4/KRRC for the duration.  He enlisted approx Spring 1905.  He went out to France as a Serjeant with the battalion on 20 Dec 1914.  At the Armistice he was Company Serjeant Major still with 4/KRRC.  He was Mentioned in Despatches (LG 28 Nov 1917) for his service in Salonika.

I found another WH Smith in 17/KRRC, who was discharged in the UK for making a misstatement as to his age on enlistment.  In this case though, he was under age, not over age!

Mark

On 19/02/2019 at 22:47, Mark1959 said:

Do you have any other personal information?

wife, children’s names, parents, where they lived. Etc.

Thanks for responding to my post.
I have William's marriage certificate and this is where I learned that he was in the Rifle Brigade but I can't find any other information about him. I believe that I have found William and Henrietta in the 1911 census living at 96 Station Road, Penge S E the household is as follows: 
Williams Henry Smith Age 40
Henrietta Smith Age 45
Ernest Smith Age 13
Emily Kathleen Smith Age 12
Bert Edward Smith Age 11
Frank James Smith Age 9
Sidney Joseph Smith Age 8
Beatrice Rose Smith Age 2

My father was Sydney Joseph Smith. He died in 1967 when I was 7 years old and apart from his birth certificate and where he was buried, I have no information about him.

Are you aware that your grandfather's 1888 attestation form into The Rifle Brigade shown in Post #1 states he was already serving in the 3rd Battalion of the Royal West Kent Regiment?

This was one of their two militia battalions.  Both battalions were headquartered in Sandling Road, Maidstone.

They had their roots in the West Kent Light Infantry, which perhaps explains why a member wishing to convert to serve as a full-time Regular might prefer The Rifle Brigade to the West Kent Regt's Regular battalions, which were standard line infantry.

On 24/02/2019 at 22:58, MBrockway said:

Are you aware that your grandfather's 1888 attestation form into The Rifle Brigade shown in Post #1 states he was already serving in the 3rd Battalion of the Royal West Kent Regiment?

This was one of their two militia battalions.  Both battalions were headquartered in Sandling Road, Maidstone.

They had their roots in the West Kent Light Infantry, which perhaps explains why a member wishing to convert to serve as a full-time Regular might prefer The Rifle Brigade to the West Kent Regt's Regular battalions, which were standard line infantry.

Thank you for this information, I really appreciate your help. As you have probably guessed, I am a complete newbie to this.

I have discovered that my grandfather ended up in the 6th Battalion Royal West Kent Regiment and was killed in action, Flanders France, death presumed on or after, 3rd July 1916.

Edited by j2sea2002
Update

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/02/2019 at 20:54, j2sea2002 said:

I am trying to find information on my Grandfather William Henry Smith this is the only information I have been able to find so far.
Birth year 1870
Birth parish Camberwell
Birth town London
Birth county Surrey
Birth country England
Service number 9286
Regiment Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own)
Year 1888
Attestation date 11 Jan 1888
Attestation age years 18
Attestation age months 11
Attestation service number 9286
Attestation corps Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort'S Own)

I believe that he fought in the Great War but can't find any information about his service record. I would be really grateful if someone could help please.

GBM_WO97_5958_181_001.jpg

John

Do you have any further pages of your grandfather's 1888 Rifle Brigade paperwork?

If so then Andy and I may be able to interpret for you.  It would be nice to confirm his battalion.  I think you've said elsewhere that he was in 1/RB in 1888?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Firstly, I would really like to thank you and the other lads for your help with this. As I have said previously, I am a complete newbie to researching.

I have William's marriage certificate and this is where I learned that he was in the Rifle Brigade but I don't have any other information I'm afraid.

My father, Sydney Joseph Smith (William's son) died when I was 7 years old in 1967 and I have no information on him or anyone to ask about my father or grandfather.. I am also trying to track down my relatives separately through Ancestry . Although, I suspect that my 1st cousins may be deceased. My aunts and uncles definitely will be due to the time passed.

Be lucky,

John

John,

As far as his Rifle Brigade service is concerned, you have his attestation date. He was in the 2nd RB transferred to the 1st RB on 21/2/90, going to the Reserve on 16/2/95. Recalled to Army Service 26/12/99  under a special order dated 26/12/99, being posted to the 2nd RB on 24/3/00 when he was sent to South Africa for the Boer War until 11/1/01 posted to the Depot on 12/1/01.

He was discharged as time expired for his first period of service on 20/3/01.

From his description report he seems to have had several tattoo's.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

2 hours ago, j2sea2002 said:

Hi Mark,

Firstly, I would really like to thank you and the other lads for your help with this. As I have said previously, I am a complete newbie to researching.

I have William's marriage certificate and this is where I learned that he was in the Rifle Brigade but I don't have any other information I'm afraid.

My father, Sydney Joseph Smith (William's son) died when I was 7 years old in 1967 and I have no information on him or anyone to ask about my father or grandfather.. I am also trying to track down my relatives separately through Ancestry . Although, I suspect that my 1st cousins may be deceased. My aunts and uncles definitely will be due to the time passed.

Be lucky,

John

John,

What was your mother's first name?

With that we may be able to trace your parents in the 1939 National Register and the London Electoral Rolls.

Happy to help!

Mark

• 1 month later...

John,

This number range was re-issued in 1902, the men surrounding your relations number all attested in January 1902 with a good few serving in WW1.

Andy