Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How crowded is Ypres?

Michael Thomson

Hello everyone

Having never been to Ypres, I've been doing a bit of research for a day trip from the Somme. 

I was wondering if Ypres is a very busy town and how crowded it typically is in mid-May? The videos of the last post at 20h00 each night seem to indicate that it draws fairly large crowds.

Also, to explore someof the battlefields of Ypres where would be the best place to go? 

Thanks for the info in advance!

If it is not half term and you go early on in the week it should be okay.  

As for where to go, what are you interested in? 

Hi Michael

Have a glance at this thread for some sage advice on parking. There have been some threads about places to visit; I just did a search on "Visiting Ypres" and turned up a few. I'll try to think of the places I went to on my first visit, Tyne Cot springs to mind as do the Canadian memorials at Vancouver Corner, Hill 62 and Crest Farm. Hill 60 and the Caterpillar mine crater are interesting and if you have time on the way (or on the way back) there are some interesting stops you can make, like Messines, Fromelles, Aubers, Neuve Chapelle, Loos and Arras. Vimy Ridge is not too far off the autoroute too.

Pete.

There are any number of places to visit in and around Ypres, as has been said. If you go nowhere else, I would say Tyne Cot is top of the list (and the Menin Gate, of course). Passchendaele is not far away, and for a wet day there is an excellent museum at Zonnebeke, between Tyne Cot/Passchendaele and Ypres.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice! 

I know a lot more about the Somme Offensive than I do about the fighting around Ypres so the various sites are quite unknown to me. Tyne Cot memorial looks very worthwhile after a quick search as does seeing the Last Post at the Menin Gate.

The parking info is very gratefully received! 

Cheers

Edited by Michael Thomson