Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Loudon Royal Scots MM .. where and when ?

shelley

Would appreciate knowing where this man earned his MM .. Thank You in Advance   It's my grandmother's uncle. 

james Loudon MM.jpg

Edited by shelley
He died at Arras in April 1917

Hi Shelley,

There is one James LOUDON Royal Scots , 11th Bn., who was awarded the MM. He was K in A on 12.4.17. No. 12981. He has 2 MICs one Loudon and one Louden, both cross referenced, but neither shows the MM. He does appear in the recipients of the MM on Ancestry. Born 1885, son of Matthew and Sarah, brother of Euphemia....looking

Regards Barry

Hi Shelley

You may have these, his sister Euphemia Fleming Loudon. and his mother, Sarah nee Johnston.

Euphemia LoudonSarah Johnston

Regards Barry  

Edited by The Inspector

It is my understanding that it would normally take a few months for the listing in the Gazette to appear. Based on that, (and assuming that he was in the 11th Btn) I would suggest the actions below as a possible candidates for when he won his MM. At this time, the 11th Royal Scots were in the 27th Brigade of the 9th (Scottish) Division attached to the XIII Corps of the British Fourth Army.

Somme: Battle of Albert, (1 – 13 Jul, 1916):
The 11th Royal Scots were in the reserve line moving up at 8pm on the 2nd to relieve the front line troops which was achieved by 3am on the 3rd. They remained in the front line suffering casualties every day from intense enemy shelling. Trenches were consolidated and patrols sent out until July 8th when they moved to Bivouac in the rear to rest and refit.

Somme: Battle of Bazentin, (14 – 17 Jul, 1916):
The 11th Royal Scots were in the front line and attacked the German line in the early hours of July 14th. They quickly achieved their first objective, capturing 63 German prisoners in the process, but their success came with a high cost of casualties.  More frontal attacks of the German lines were undertaken by the 11th Royal Scots on the following days, as the 9th Division attempted to secure all their objectives of the initial attack.  The Battalion was relieved from their front line duties at 8pm on the 17th July.

There are no other major battalion actions that I know of in the summer of 1916, although this does not preclude an act of individual bravery at any time in the course of a raid, patrol or some other aspect of life in the front line.

Peter

Thank You everyone .. mystery is solved finally  .. yes those ladies are his mother and sister.   Appreciate all responses. 

• 6 months later...