Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNVR Reason for Discharge - Resigned (Reconstruction)

mickgall

Hi all

I've downloaded a RNVR service card for one of my great uncles but I'm a bit confused as to some of the info on. it looks like he served from 16-10-1914 to 31-3-1915. In the reason for discharge it looks like it says Resigned (Reconstruction). In the remarks it looks like S,C to MAU 9A SC 4489Nov/1920. I was wondering how he would be allowed to resign during the war or did he join something else/ Any help greatly appreciated.

Mick

Charles walter Britton RNVR 1914.pdf

Do you know what his occupation was? I can read Tech[nical] Ass[istant]. Is what follows "H M O W"? I notice that it was the reason for the discharge of Frederick Ernest Ball.

I think that it was felt that he could be better employed doing something else probably related to his civilian occupation.

RM

H M O W = His Majesty's Office of Works, probably.

The resignation occurred prior to the passing of the Military Service Acts in 1916, so a member of the RNVR could presumably resign on completion of the period for which he had agreed to serve, just as a Territorial Force soldier could.

Ron

7 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

H M O W = His Majesty's Office of Works, probably.

I had wondered about that as a possibility but was not sure if that was what it was called at the time.

I wonder if "reconstruction" refers to the record - someone realised (in 1920?) that there was nothing in that part of the record and put something in; or does it refer to what he went away to do.

In the 1939 Register he is a Civil Service ???? Officer, which tends to confirm the Office of Works.

RM

12 hours ago, mickgall said:

In the remarks it looks like S,C to MAU 9A SC 4489Nov/1920.

"Service Certificate [S.C.] to Man [under 1920 reference]." i.e. his Service Cerificate was sent to him.

I agree the Ministry of Works/Office of Works is most likely occupation.

Hi all thanks for the quick replies. Ministry of Works would seem the most likely as you say. In the 1901/1911 census’s he is shown as a furniture designer/draughtsman. When he died in 1944 one of the beneficiaries to his will was his son Edwin Charles Briton who is shown as a Technical Clerk , Ministry of Works. So it seems like he might have spent the war working in munitions factories or working on designs for new equipment/kit.

Also his older brother Edwin John James Britton had a technical army career. He was an apprentice for 4 years at HM Dockyard Portsmouth  1895-1899, Royal College of Science 1899-1900, Ordnance College Woolwich student then joined the Army ordnance dept in 1903 and became an Inspector of ordnance Machinery 3rd Class. Was in sole charge of the Central  Ordnance Workshops Gibraltar 1903-05, which included Steamboats and Gun mountings. By the time of his wedding his was an Inspector of ordnance Machinery 2nd Class. In the 1922 army list he’s shown as a Lt.Col and is an  Inspector of ordnance Machinery 1st class. In the 1939 census he’s shown as a Brigadier. He was with the BEF in France and was awarded the 1915 star and  the DSO at some point. I’ve had a quick look on line at the NA site to try and find his service record but its not on line and how would he have been awarded a DSO although I have read somewhere that non-combatant officers were sometimes gallantry awards. Anybody any ideas?

Army List 1922 DSO.jpg

In charge Gibralter.jpg

Medal Card.jpg