Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
scottiel99

help understanding RAF service record

scottiel99

I'm looking for help interpreting the records of Canadian airman Lt. Fleming. It appears to me that he was still in training by the war's end and may not have seen any combat action. Does that seem correct? Also I believe on the second page the notation under "examination" states the he was unfit for general service for 8 weeks but fit for home service with flying. What is the difference between general service and home service?

I'm very curious in general what the men did after the war while waiting to be sent home. He was put on the unemployed list effective October 20, 2019 and appears to have spent time at Flower Down and Camp Upavon before that. I know he also spent some time in Paris after the war's end and before November 2019.

OEF RAF record (1).pdf

OEF RAF record (2).pdf

Edited by scottiel99

quemerford

Yes he Graduated B (on service type) in February 1919 so would not have seen active service as pilot. He was a Cadet attested in Toronto in June 1917 and also has a airman's AIR 79 record.