Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
BereniceUK

Jenkin Evans, Mercantile Marine - died 8.5.1918

BereniceUK

A contemporary newspaper reported on his funeral at Llanon, Cardiganshire. https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3414221/3414226/74/whitby

CWGC has him only commemorated on the Tower Hill memorial.  https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2886411/evans,-jenkin/ Does that mean that the CWGC is unaware of his grave site?

"Mr. Jenkin Evans, the Priory, has been killed on board a ship by a torpedo or a mine. He was sent ashore to Whitby and the body was conveyed home on Sunday. The funeral took place on Monday when the Rev. T. D. Thomas conducted the service at the house, and the Rev. D. W. Davies, vicar of Llanrhystyd, at the church and graveside. The chief mourners were Mrs. Evans (mother), Miss Evans (sister), Capt. Evans (brother), Mrs. Evans, Gilfachreda, New Quay (sister), Mrs. Evans, Aberayron (sister-in-law), Mr. Evans (Aberayron (nephew), and other relatives. Great sympathy is felt with the family, and especially with his octogenarian mother. He is the twelfth who has lost his life in this war from Llanon."
(The Cambrian News, 17th May 1918)

clive_hughes

It's unusual, but I think I've come across a couple of similar cases where the body of a mariner lost owing to enemy action was recovered and buried, but then commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial.  

Steve John's West Wales War Memorials project site has an entry for him under Llanon, Cardiganshire, which shows his gravestone and notes the discrepancy of commemoration: 

https://www.wwwmp.co.uk/ceredigion-memorials/llanon-war-memorial/

You could try telling CWGC and see how they respond?

Clive

Edited by clive_hughes

Terence Munson

Berenice

It is not unusual for this. I’ve with other members of the Forum have had several casualties that have 
laid for 100 years or more, mostly in unmarked graves or any grave markers there might have been no longer exist, it is more common with seamen. The CWGC usually respond positively with evidence (grave location, death certificate etc), and a CWGC headstone arrives one to two years later if none exist. Member Chris Harley has good contacts with the CWGC and most I’ve found I submit via him.

Terry

chrisharley9

As Paul points out the parish burial register from the archives would be required along with any other relevant evidence such as the newspaper cutting.

Cheers

Chris

clive_hughes

Apparently that burial register hasn't been digitised on FMP, so the Ceredigion County Record Office would have to be consulted.

chrisharley9

Is anyone willing to take this one forward?

Chris

chrisharley9

I will take the deafening silence as a no then. This case will go no further due to lack of the burial register. Sorry, but I no longer approach county archives due to the lack of co operation that I have received.

chrisharley9

Terry Denham contacted the archives to see what can be found. His name does not appear in the burial register for this location. They think that this is a mistake due to the reports in the newspapers. CWGC have been informed of this. It will now be up to them to make a decision.

Cheers

Chris