Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifleman A J Philip, Queens Westminster rifles

Malcolm Philip

I have recently found out about my grandfather's war service. He served in the Queens Westminster Rifles in the first world war from their first battles in 1914, to 1918, and survived until the latter 1970s. An A J Philip is mentioned in the War history of the 1st battalion Queens Westminster rifles, 1914-18, written by Major J. Q. Henriques. In the book, it states that in Xmas 1914 there was an informal truce on their part of the front and my grandfather is named as being the one who went out and met the Germans in no man's land on Xmas day. it further mentions the same A J Philip (now a 2nd lieutenant) as leading a division of men into battle on the Hindenburg line in 1918. I would like to find out more about my grandfather's war service but have no idea where to start.

Can you help?

Malcolm Philip 

Welcome!

Alexander James Philip. 1405 Other rank number. Commissioned 24/10/16. Went to France 1/11/1914.

Officer file

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C723877

Not yet digitised so a visit to Kew or get someone to look for you. They were heavily weeded.

Married 1921. Same address as on back of Medal Card. Born 5/12/1890. Died 27/5/1979. Lived in Wandsworth.

Assume I have the right man?

Edited by Mark1959

Malcolm,

my late wife’s grandfather wrote of his time with the QWRs and his part in the truce, it’s only brief but if I can find it when I get home I’ll post what he wrote. He was CSM J.B. Hill DCM

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Mark and Mancpal

That's great. My information so far concurs with this. My grandfather was born in Aberdeen and grew up in Broomhills Place in Aberdeen. He had a sister, Elizabeth (born 1886) and a younger brother William (born 1893). He did indeed get married in 1921 and they had two sons, my father David Alexander Philip and my uncle, Colin Angus Philip. He was an Air Raid Warden in WW2, and his sons served in the LifeGuards (Colin) and REME ( David).

He was awarded four medals:

1914 star with clasp, war and victory medals and a defence medal.

I have found his xmas 1914 gift tin from Princess Margaret, still full of cigarettes and tobacco, and various other memorabilia.

Mancpal - any more information you have about the QWRs would be very welcome, both about the truce and anything else about them and their WW1 campaign.

Malcolm

Personal memoires are likely to be the better places to find out about Christmas 1914.  The battalion war diary names no names in what is described as "much conversation with enemy between trenches" (WO 95/1616/2 at the National Archives - goes to Jan 1916).

WO 95/2963/2 Feb 1916 to May 1919 for the remainder.  The specific time frame for what is described as the attack on the Hindenburg line is likely to have been 25/28 August 1918 when the battalion attacked the Hindenburg line to the north west of Bullecourt and in which  he was wounded.  (I think the word "division" is being used in the description informally to denote a body of men rather than a Division which had 10 000 men!).

Each diary can be downloaded from the National Archives for £3.50.  

Max

Edited by MaxD

Malcolm, 

sorry for the delay. The journal I mentioned is in fact posted on the forum already.

if you google “1916 linen trench map qwr” you should find one of my previous topics which contains CSM Hills account which stops at the Somme, he too went right through the war with the QWR and served as an ARP warden in London during WW2. Hope it’s of interest.

Simon

Dear Max and Simon

Thanks for the further info - I'll follow everything up. I had guessed he might have been wounded in August 1918 - how do you know he was wounded or rather can you possibly tell me where I start to find out more about how he was wounded, where he was treated etc? Also, the person who owned his medal collection, Hal Gilpin, said in a letter to the Telegraph in 2003 that he was wounded more than once - any ideas about how I find out more? Should I start by visiting Kew? 

He was commissioned in 1916 and went to Hazeley Camp in Winchester ( we have a postcard he sent to his sister from Hazeley Camp) - any idea where I go to find out more about that?

Malcolm

The war diary that I cited records him being wounded in the action at the end of August, it says nothing about where/when he was treated.  Whether that was for the first or second time I have no idea, or whether he left the battalion and returned after treatment I don't know, I haven't read the whole diary.  My suggestion is that you download both the diaries cited and work slowly through them.  If he was wounded before commissioning it is unlikely to mention him whereas after Oct 1916 when he was commissioned his name will almost certainly appear as it does in Aug 1918..

Some one may be able to find his name on a casualty list.

Hazeley camp housed one of many Officer Training Battalions.  A search on the forum for "Officer Training" and similar expressions will surely turn up something useful.

Nax

Another source of information is  "The History of the Fifty Sixth Division" by Major CH Dudley Ward. It provides a more general view of the Divisions actions, the QWR being part of 169 Brigade.I have found that you need to look at least at the Divisions actions to get any real feel of what a realtive went through.

My post about one particular battle may also be of interestMars Offensive 28th March 1918

Bob

• 9 months later...

Hi Malcolm,

If you are still looking in here is a photo from my QWR collection showing AJ Philip on the left, possibly taken at Hazeley Down,

All the best,

Steve

A J Philip.jpg