Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

#20 General Hospital, Camiers

Broznitsky

I am trying to learn more about this British hospital: who staffed it, size, what Camiers was like in the autumn of 1917.

I assume it would have been fairly standard for Canadian soldiers to be sent to a British hospital, if it was the nearest, had more available beds, etc?? Did British soldiers ever land in a Canadian hospital?

Peter ("non-gang member") in Vancouver. B)

Hi Pete

I've got a relative in 14 DLI who was dispatched to 3rd Canadian CCS shortly after they had arrived at Remy Sidings (near Pop). They looked after his chest wound well, and he lived for a fairly long period after the war. So the answer to the second question is Yes!

20 Gen Hosp was at Camiers from 15/05/15 to 14/04/19. Although not similar dates there were 4 other General Hospitals and a Stationary Hospital there for a good deal of the war. The info refers to BEF hospitals, although it does refer to 2 GHs being transferred to the American Army in 1917 (not 20 GH though). Perhps the answers you are seeking are on Chris's main site, the Long Long Trail?

I have the diary of one, A Sibbering D.C.M. 4th Bn N. Staffs, part of which reads:-

1/10/18 got a bullet through left hand 8.0 p.m.

2/10/18 went to dressing station at Brandhoek, lEft there

3/10/18 went by train to 10 C.C.S, stayed all night

4/10/18 went to Boulogne in Red Cross train, IN HOSPITAL AT 3rd

CANADIAN.

5.6/10/18 In Hospital at Boulogne.

Cliff.

Hi

according to a source I have, the 18th General Hospital was at Camiers from 26 April 1915 to 28th Jan 1919. Could there have been more than one at this location? The records for this hospital are available at the N.A. (not much use to you in Canada I am afraid).

John.

John, Green, Long Long Trail lists the other hospitals present at Camiers, but that's about it. It sounds like a hospital town . . .

Cliff, thanks for that.

Anybody ever been to Camiers in this century? :unsure:

Diary

Halfway down this page is a nurses description of conditions in the hospitals at Camiers.

John

Hi Pete

Not quite the period you were seeking information on but The War Diary of Clare Gass 1915-1918, Ed. by Susan Mann, Published byMcGill-Queen's University Press, might be of some interest. She was sent to Camiers in July 1915 to help set up the Canadian Field Hospital. On July 31st she descibes the area as 'a city of tents'. She also mentions various battle and the casualities sent to the unit including men from Hooge and Gordon Highlanders.

Clare Gass worked with John McCrea and his poem In Flanders Fields appears on October 30th and it is implied that he wrote it for her!

The book is full of interesting info on the Canadian Hospitals she worked in in France, Belgian, the UK and Canada. It is a remarkable diary and well worth a read.

Liza