Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika water-damaged page for RFA Gunner 1918-19

SWMDgen

I’m wondering if anyone could please assist in decoding this  Casualty-Active Service form fm Salonika.  As  you see its suffered somewhat fm dampness/water spillages. Apart fm the fading and smudges I’ve also had difficulties with some of the shorthand.. and have not been able to find interpretations on other websites.  My current efforts are as follows  [KEY: dates fm 5th Col on form;     xxx???  I can't read... the italicised text I'm pretty confident of but the bolded bits I haven't a clue] 
25 Dec  1917 80FA NYD xx?xx                                          80 Field Ambulance   Admitted Not Yet Diagnosed  xxx?xx
2 Jan1918         80 FA     xx?xx to  xx?xx                          ?unreadable
17 Jan          116 Bde                                                           his RFA Bde since 1915….Posted from Base to Reinforcements 
21 Jun           80 FA   Adm  inufD diar                                 80 FA  Admitted  Infectious  Diarrhoea   
25 Jun           80GHp Adm  mae  R                                     80 General Hospital   Admitted   ? xx?xx   
  6 Jul             80GHp Trans to 2 C D mae R                     Transferred  to 2 Convalescent ?Depot  xxx?xx
24 Jul   2       CD Disc to RUBD  Salonika                       Convalescent ?Depot   Discharged to ?????? Depot    
1 Aug             OC 101  joins B/101                                   Officer Commanding 101   Joins B/101 Bde
1 Jul              B/116 Rexxxxx Class I R P]                         ?Class 1 Field Punishment?  
9 Mar 1919????   ????????? for leave in UK  Ika             ?port of departure for UK
                                      ?????    21 days  R Allee                   ?21 days rec leave
                ???????     In UK
               on expiration of leave

This is the last page  of the Gunner 39744 H S Redgrave's SR so its not clear how he got fm Salonika to the UK but the Statement of Service indicates he was transferred to Class Z on 30 May 1919 [no location identified]  and ???? on Demobilisation 31/3/20 stamped RH&RFA Woolwich 
He started out in Salonika in 116 Bde 26th Division but was transferred to 101Bde 22nd Div in Aug 1918... No notes on medals or rolls or forms as to which Division he was discharged fm. 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  All the Best

MHS2013772923_SR530974_185977-00949.jpg.f3650a9ce85cd6010b7049aaa478d293.jpg

Hi,

Last two entries appear to be

Granted 21 days ration Allce (allowance)

To be retained in U.K. on expiration of leave

Steve

Dec 17 - Adm(itted) N(ot Y(et) D(iagnosed) Fever

17 Jan - Posted from base to B/116

21 Jun - Adm(itted) N(ot) Y(et) D(iagnosed) Diar(rhea)

6 July - Adm(itted) mal(laria) R - possibly recovering or something similar

24 July - discharged to RU Base Depot 

Charlie

Thank you Charlie  I hadn't even though of malaria which is daft given how rampant it was in Salonika, and Steve thank you for unpicking some of the watermarked leave arrangements. Your contributions have finally put  dent into my understanding of the conditions and processes of this period.  I'm wondering if either of you might have a clue about the.  much smeared entries for 9 Mar 1919.... I sense the  Ika       refers to the port of departure out of the area but the closes I can come is somewhere like Ithaki .. unless of course its Dka... then heaven's knows... Given the lack of transport info I even wondered if perhaps troops had been trained out across Europe given how tight shipping became ... especially wrt  getting Dominion Troops back to  India , Oz and NZ. 

Kind regards and thanks again for your assistance

MHS

The entry for 9 March, it isn‘t lka in the place column but Ska, the clerk has abbreviated Salonika.

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

Thank you Charlie.. I thought the first letter was a bit oddly shaped  for an I but hadn't been thinking of the S... these abbreviations are a nightmare...pity they didn't scribble just a little more though so I have an idea how he got to he UK

Thanks also trooper 23.. the malaria connection looks pretty strong now

Cheers and all the best with your researching

It's not "Ika", but Itea, the little port on the Gulf of Corinth near Delphi. After Greece officially joined the war in summer 1917, they allowed the British & French to use the railways south of Katerini. The British implemented the "Y Scheme" for the evacuation of malaria cases. He would have been taken as far as Bralo by train, then trucked over the mountains the last 30 miles to Itea, from where it was only an overnight hop across the Adriatic to Taranto in Italy. Previously, it would have taken 3-4 days by ship round Greece from Salonika, exposed to submarine attack by daylight. Of course, by the time your chap was evacuated, the war was over, but it was still quicker than going all the way by boat.

I think your "RUBD" is R[oyal] A[rtillery] B[ase] D[epot].

Adrian

many thanks Adrian and my apologies for the late acknowledgement...This is one of the very few service records for my Br people but it's  such a tease - and of course not helped by the dearth of histories [until recently anyway] and lack of digitised diaries to fill in the gaps.  Harold was one of many who never talked about his experiences except in very occasional and uncomplimentary asides so I've been trying to get at least an likely outline of his story. It must have been pretty exhausting ..such a long train trip home,  and I bet the earlier flag waving and cheers weren't as prevalent by the time his group hit the stations along the way....

All the very best for your researches.. you look to be well located for hunting out the details

Cheers  

MHS