Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collar Badges Help

Canteen soldier

It will be a familiar question, but can anyone help out with identifying this soldiers unit? It looks like a 3 letter collar badge and I fancy the boots and breeches point to cavalry. Any help welcomed.

image.png.d0bf183dfe7ed64318baf70cdcf25221.png

• Admin

I'm sorry but I cannot access the photograph.

Michelle

Strange. The link worked earlier, before the whole site glitched for 10 mins.  

37 minutes ago, Canteen soldier said:

1415420959_Whatunit.jpg.92ce827f7364787b33331e6cfc3d80e9.jpg     

I'll try again

Whoever he is, he is Canadian. He wears the Canadian 7-button version of the SD jacket, and his collar badges are the letter C over the Battalion number. A higher resolution scan might be able to get the number, but they would have looked something like:

Image result for ww1 canadian collar badge

Medal ribbons appear to be for the 1914 or 1914-15 Star and for the British War Medal. This would suggest the picture was taken in mid/late 1919 as the Victory Medal which he would also have been entitled to had not yet been approved. Sleeve badges are a single Wounded Stripe, two Long Service Good Conduct Stripes, and the Marksman badge of crossed rifles. The boots are the type known as the Field Service Mounted Boots of the pattern used from 1917 onwards.

Edited by Andrew Upton

On 18/02/2019 at 17:26, Andrew Upton said:

Whoever he is, he is Canadian. He wears the Canadian 7-button version of the SD jacket, and his collar badges are the letter C over the Battalion number. A higher resolution scan might be able to get the number, but they would have looked something like:

Image result for ww1 canadian collar badge

Medal ribbons appear to be for the 1914 or 1914-15 Star and for the British War Medal. This would suggest the picture was taken in mid/late 1919 as the Victory Medal which he would also have been entitled to had not yet been approved. Sleeve badges are a single Wounded Stripe, two Long Service Good Conduct Stripes, and the Marksman badge of crossed rifles. The boots are the type known as the Field Service Mounted Boots of the pattern used from 1917 onwards.

Thank you for that great info. In fact when I take a look at the indistinct cap badge (not posted) it rather confirms it as Canada. If I look again at the copy I have I think the 28th looks feasible too. So the boots were not cavalry after all. Many thanks again