Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Edward Mitchell - uniform

Nikki Mitchell

Hi all, I’m hoping someone may be able to help me, this is my grandfather George Edward Mitchell who died on 31/12/42, previous to this he was in the army as a regular after leaving a reformatory school in kingswood Bristol that he was sent to in 1916.  He served in ww2 definitely but this uniform looks more like ww1.  Any help would be most appreciated 

Nikki 

CBFE1663-B962-4A07-8446-D38DCF025E3E.jpeg.32c84674e8b05ace3b76ffeab176cad2.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Nikki Mitchell said:

Hi all, I’m hoping someone may be able to help me, this is my grandfather George Edward Mitchell who died on 31/12/42, previous to this he was in the army as a regular after leaving a reformatory school in kingswood Bristol that he was sent to in 1916.  He served in ww2 definitely but this uniform looks more like ww1.  Any help would be most appreciated 

Nikki 

CBFE1663-B962-4A07-8446-D38DCF025E3E.jpeg.32c84674e8b05ace3b76ffeab176cad2.jpeg

King's Royal Rifle Corps I believe. 

The black buttons are indicative of a rifle regiment. 

I agree with GWF1967.  There were some London Regiment battalions dressed similarly, but that is less likely for a man from Bristol.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi thanks for your reply my dad has said he didn’t come out of reform school til 1921 and was based at tidworth and he was trained in a music capacity, so would kings rifles still apply?  Or would this uniform be typical of early 20’s

thank you all 

Nikki 

Something about the shape of the cap tilts me towards a later date than 1918.

There was a recent post which suggested that trousers were not pleated front and rear until mid-twenties.

Edited by daggers
Afterthought

It could easily be a 1920s photo, apart from a closer cut jacket and modified cap peak the uniform stayed largely the same until the late 1930s.

With some manufacturers the black badges were painted with a more gloss paint finish and this is what’s reflected the photographers flash bulb.

Edited by FROGSMILE