Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dr John Dillon (J.D) M(a)cCormack

Ronan McGreevy

Thanks for adding that. I was struggling through a month's worth of French newspaper :)

On 31/08/2019 at 09:03, corisande said:

Certainly your post #8 with the 1933 marriage certificate shows him as a widower.

So we know now that he was a widower as his wife died in Aug 1933, and he remarried in Nov 1933

the website of the archives of the city of Angers is currently out of service, I will try to find the death certificate. I was looking for death information for a while and it was by going to a genealogy site.

1 minute ago, JuliusMassius said:

she had a deprivation of resources (page 2)

Does this mean that she had no money ?

We know that she never appears to have settled in Ireland. But from the certificate she did legally marry MacCormack, but nevertheless she had reverted to her maiden name when she died and there is no mention of him

But it is certainly the woman MacCormack married in Paris

yes, it is a deprivation of money. Maybe he should have been separated.

the guillou family is from the region of angers (place of suicide)

This information on the French article agrees : birth 1861 in Paris.

In 1916, she was sentenced to one year's imprisonment and a fine of 500 francs for offenses of contempt of good morals. the judgment was overturned in 1917 by the Paris Court of Appeal.

6 minutes ago, JuliusMassius said:

it's after the wedding

Yes, we never really cracked why Dillon married her, . Given her background she was clearly a prostitute when he married her, She was 30 years  older than he was. It could have been for anything from blackmail; to compassion on his part

I see the Wikipedia articled cited at the beginning of this article has her suicide added to it now

On 25/01/2021 at 13:23, JuliusMassius said:

In 1916, she was sentenced to one year's imprisonment and a fine of 500 francs for offenses of contempt of good morals. the judgment was overturned in 1917 by the Paris Court of Appeal.

Not exactly. To be more precise, the Court of  Cassation  ( criminal chamber) cancel the sentence from the 1916 Court of Appeal because the house search made by the police without a mandate from an examining magistrat was illegal and the evidences collected were for this reason irrelevant..

Sorry for the details. As we say in France " the devil is inside the details"

Gabelou

The Wikipedia article make the same confusion between Court of Appeal and Court of cassation. The gallica doc is an extract of Court of Cassation Jurisprudentia.

• 2 years later...

Hello

Sorry to come back very late to this topic (2,5 years !).

I just received a copy of the death certificate (certificat de décès) from Angers. See below. It might shed some light on the case.

1. Eugénie is described as "célibataire", i.e. unmarried .
2. The man who came to the town hall to declare her dead is a 80 year-old person of independent means, an annuitant, residing at the same address where she died : 38, rue Savary, Angers. This address is nowadays that of a modern building, but nr 40 is a two-storey house that seems meant for one household. Nr 38 could have been the same kind of house.

Was he her landlord ? Were they living together ? Unfortunately no records of censuses prior to 1936 have been kept by the Archives départementales. And the 1936 Angers census is not on line. I might go to Angers in the future. Just to check how many people lived at 38, rue Savary.  

DCEugenie.jpg.242dd6dd325eec657060925151aaae4b.jpg    

3 hours ago, Korrigan said:

Was he her landlord ?

I suspect this Paul Barbier could be the same referred to in the press clipping of suicide as M.B.(Monsieur B), propriétaire (the owner)

I note she was in the clipping as Mlle (Mademoiselle) ie Miss.

Edited by charlie962

• 7 months later...
On 19/04/2023 at 15:32, Korrigan said:
Hello, I'm coming back too.
Eugénie Guillou lived in a furnished room. In French : chambre garnie

A furnished room is a term dating from before the Second World War and designating a room having all the elements necessary for living, it is fully furnished and equipped.

We find this expression in old co-ownership deeds at a time when prostitution was legal, it is in this type of room that the prostitute carried out her activity. This clause made it possible to prevent this type of rental.

On 19/04/2023 at 15:32, Korrigan said:
Sorry to come back very late to this topic (2,5 years !).

I just received a copy of the death certificate (certificat de décès) from Angers. See below. It might shed some light on the case.

1. Eugénie is described as "célibataire", i.e. unmarried .
2. The man who came to the town hall to declare her dead is a 80 year-old person of independent means, an annuitant, residing at the same address where she died : 38, rue Savary, Angers. This address is nowadays that of a modern building, but nr 40 is a two-storey house that seems meant for one household. Nr 38 could have been the same kind of house.

Was he her landlord ? Were they living together ? Unfortunately no records of censuses prior to 1936 have been kept by the Archives départementales. And the 1936 Angers census is not on line. I might go to Angers in the future. Just to check how many people lived at 38, rue Savary.  

DCEugenie.jpg.242dd6dd325eec657060925151aaae4b.jpg    

Edited by JuliusMassius
Better readable.

a furnished room is a term dating from before the Second World War and designating a room having all the elements necessary for living, it is fully furnished and equipped.

It is written in the press article that she was living in a furnished room at the time of her death.

Greeting
Edited by JuliusMassius
Correction.

In the newspaper article, it is written that its owner no longer heard Eugénie walking so he went upstairs, worried, and found Eugénie hanging.
The accommodation is called apartment in the article.
It must have had two floors for sleeping and the room on the ground floor. Logic dictates that Eugénie sleeps on the top floor.