Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dr John Dillon (J.D) M(a)cCormack

Ronan McGreevy

3 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Slight translation error- she married "at the Mairie", she did not marry the mayor !

Also "briefly appears to be good with a pimp" should be "appeared briefly as a maidservant ("bonne") to a procuress"...

4 hours ago, corisande said:

whether she died, they were divorced, or that he went back to Ireland after the war

Certainly your post #8 with the 1933 marriage certificate shows him as a widower. Whether that was the truth is another matter (possibly).

6 hours ago, seaJane said:

Certainly your post #8 with the 1933 marriage certificate shows him as a widower.

Afraid I have researched too many WW1 soldiers who committed bigamy to know that the marriage cert is unlike to put their married state as "bigamist" :)

I have no idea what happened to Eugenie. Perhaps it says something about the difficulty of researching French records , that a couple of authors have written books about her without uncovering her marriage to MacCormack, and, as far as I can ascertain, nobody has found her death (the French authors are more likely to have been looking for the death, then a marriage)

She certainly does not appear to have died as Gillou nor MacCormack in England nor Ireland. French records are difficult for me, so I cannot say if her death is recorded in France

As I put in my post #6

His medical record shows him admitted to Milbank Hospital with GSW on 19 Dec 1916 and discharged to Bathurst House Hospital on 27 Jan 1917. That was only 3 months after his marriage. The OP says he was incapacitated for 6 years

Her life enters a strange void after her marriage

We enter the realms of supposition. Surely he must have known who he was marrying in Paris. Surely she must have made some contact with British authorities after his wounding.

Anyway for me there are two thoughts to take from this tale

1. I should have checked other spellings of her name, given I knew that books were being written about her, yet nothing came up on Google

2. The continuing digitalistion of records enabled me to find their Paris 1916 marriage. One wonders what more there is to be found in the future

There is more that can be found on MacCormack's life

12 hours ago, seaJane said:

Also "briefly appears to be good with a pimp" should be "appeared briefly as a maidservant ("bonne")

It might be that MrG has damned her unfairly with his translation. She was in fact of saintly behaviour. Reminds me of Michael Palin in The Missionary .

21 hours ago, corisande said:

One wonders too as to whether she died, they were divorced, or that he went back to Ireland after the war and resumed his life without her

Doesn't the marriage record (or whatever the right term is) of 1933 mention that he was a widower ?

Oops. Just noticed this was brought forward in post #27. 

Edited by Korrigan

10 hours ago, corisande said:

Afraid I have researched too many WW1 soldiers who committed bigamy to know that the marriage cert is unlike to put their married state as "bigamist" :)

See my answer to this above

12 hours ago, corisande said:

The French marriage certificate mentions a British Army «green light ». Would he have been granted permission to wed if he was already married ? Could he have produced a forged document ? After all, he was only 25. There is a strong possibility that he had not been married before. 

She certainly does not appear to have died as Guillou nor MacCormack in England nor Ireland. French records are difficult for me, so I cannot say if her death is recorded in France

So we'll assume she died in France. 

Mention of the date and place of death on the birth certificate is compulsory only since 1945. And my experience is that there where (and still are) many exceptions.

Edited by Korrigan

6 minutes ago, Korrigan said:

So we'll assume she died in France. 

I thought in France all deaths tended to be noted in the registers of the Mairie where the person was born?

52 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I thought in France all deaths tended to be noted in the registers of the Mairie where the person was born?

As I wrote : only since 1945.

8 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I was unclear that birth certificate meant Register at the Mairie.

Sorry. I am not familiar with the exact English words. 

Edited by Korrigan

3 minutes ago, Korrigan said:

Sorry. I am not familiar with the exact English terms. 

In UK a birth certificate is issued at the time the birth is registered. No subsequent entries are made against this record. (this may have changed very recently to deal with false passport applications ?)

In France the birth is recorded in a Register at the Mairie and subsequent events like marriage divorce and death are often recorded in the margin of that Register. But you have clarified that this was compulsory only since 1945.

I think I now understand the subtle difference. In France there is also the Livret de Famille which is unknown in UK.

Thanks

Charlie

7 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

In France the birth is recorded in a Register at the Mairie and subsequent events like marriage

Since 1897. So J.D. MacCormack and E. Guillou's marriage is mentionned in the margin of her "acte de naissance"

divorce

Since about 1887 in the margin of the "acte de mariage" and since 1932 in the margin of the "acte de naissance" 

and death are often recorded in the margin of that Register. But you have clarified that this was compulsory only since 1945.

I have tried to look for a record of a possible religious wedding, but  could not find online records.

In France, a religious ceremony is not enough for an official marriage. And the religious ceremony cannot take place before the ceremony at the town hall.

On 19/08/2019 at 11:49, corisande said:

Interestingly she was born 1861, so thirty years younger older than him.

The 1933 marriage certificate mentions that his bride, Jane Walker was a "spinster". Doesn't that mean that she was no longer a youngster ?

By the way, they lived at the same address. Different apartments,  no doubt.   :hypocrite:

Just now, Korrigan said:

The 1933 marriage certificate mentions that his bride, Jane Walker, was a "spinster". Doesn't that mean that she was no longer a youngster ?

By the way, they lived at the same address. Different apartments,  no doubt.   :hypocrite:

Edited by Korrigan

1 minute ago, Korrigan said:

Jane Walker was a "spinster". Doesn't that mean that she was no longer a youngster

It just means that she had not been married before

18 hours ago, charlie962 said:

There were quite a few witnesses to the marriage. I wonder who they were ?

Four witnesses is usual : two on the bride's side ; two on the bridegroom's. But this is not compulsory.

The first one (a woman) is a 35 years old "rentière", which means she lived off the profits of her fortune or investments. Would you say "annuitant" ?

The second is a "chemical engineer".

The third and fourth live at the same address. She is a laundress ; he is a "publiciste" which usually designated a journalist. A found trace of a man with the same name writing for a Calais newspaper in 1913. 

Speaking of professions, Eugenie Guillou is supposed to be a "manicurist". But we know that her beauty salon offered much more than hand care.

The witnesses' addresses are fairly far away from that of the bride. They were not neighbours.

12 minutes ago, Korrigan said:

Four witnesses is usual : two on the bride's side ; two on the bridegroom's. But this is not compulsory.

So  we can say that none of the witnesses came from the British Army?

Just received Doctor MacCormack military papers little information in them.He was with the 141st Field Ambulance when he received his wounds on the 5th December 1916,would anyone know where they were stationed at that time????.He was back in Dublin in February of 1920 and in the papers down as married in that year.Have not found any trace of his wife coming to Ireland 

23 hours ago, Rock said:

Just received Doctor MacCormack military papers little information in them.He was with the 141st Field Ambulance when he received his wounds on the 5th December 1916,would anyone know where they were stationed at that time?

One Forum member could help : 

• 1 year later...
Hello, I think I found Eugenie Gillou's death information. Eugénie Guillou committed suicide in Angers, rue Savary, on August 19, 1933, by hanging herself from blinds in her room. She had last-degree heart disease and had a neurasthenia gravis.

https://www.archinoe.fr/v2/ad49/visualiseur/presse.html?id=490043324

https://www.retronews.fr/journal/la-gazette-de-chateau-gontier/27-aout-1933/227/1242877/2

Hello, I think I found the death information of Eugenie Gillou.

Eugénie Guillou committed suicide in the city of Angers (France), Savary street, on August 19, 1933, by hanging herself from blinds in her room. She had last-degree heart disease and had a neurasthenia gravis

2.jpg