Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ieper - car parking

Don Regiano

On 01/03/2019 at 15:06, Don Regiano said:

Hi Dan.

We went past High Wood a couple of times but didn't have time to stop so no photos this trip I'm afraid.  However, here is one I made earlier showing a view of the wood looking in a vaguely NE direction across the area where the Northumberland Fusiliers advanced on 15 September 1916 and where my wife's great uncle was mortally wounded when preparing the assembly trenches prior to the attack.  Will be back across again later this month and hope to make a stop at High Wood.

Enjoy your trip.

Reg

DSC02659.JPG

Thanks Reg. It’ll be my 1st time there so I’ll take a walk around the wood and locate Clark’s trench where my great great uncle died. 

Safe travels,

Dan

On 01/03/2019 at 15:38, Fattyowls said:

Hi Dan, do a search on High Wood or have a look at John's various posts as Frajohn; there are some superb photos of High Wood in various posts on the forum (Jon's snowy ones are particular favourites of mine). Just to set the bar extremely low initially here is one from Caterpillar Valley cemetery looking back top the wood.....

Pete.

1816780872_SunlightonHighWood.thumb.JPG.5a51a35f882b1b0d12b03a6379bdee2a.JPG

Thanks, Pete - great shot - Caterpillar Valley is on my itinerary also!

cheers,

Dan

22 hours ago, Frajohn said:

Thank you for the kind words Pete, another view of High Wood

Kind regards

John

40285969163_6da4f71f86_o.jpg

That’s an awesome pic John!

2 hours ago, Waterloo Wanderer said:

Thanks Reg. It’ll be my 1st time there so I’ll take a walk around the wood and locate Clark’s trench where my great great uncle died. 

Safe travels,

Dan

Hi Dan.

I think I sent you a photo showing the track between High Wood and Bazentin-le-Petit which was crossed by Clarke Trench.  If not, let me know and I can PM you.  On the photo I posted above the High Wood end of the track is denoted by the two red and white marker posts.  Clarke Trench is a short walk from there, just about at the right hand edge of the photo and the field over which my photo was shot is always "interesting".

I'm sure you will enjoy your first trip there and it is, indeed, a contrast to the more "popular" sites on the Western Front.  It is one of those where you will get a good flavour of what it was all about and you can make your own mind up on the "heated debate".  Tanks being ordered through the remnants of High Wood in September 1916 ....

Regards.

Reg

1 hour ago, Don Regiano said:

Hi Dan.

I think I sent you a photo showing the track between High Wood and Bazentin-le-Petit which was crossed by Clarke Trench.  If not, let me know and I can PM you.  On the photo I posted above the High Wood end of the track is denoted by the two red and white marker posts.  Clarke Trench is a short walk from there, just about at the right hand edge of the photo and the field over which my photo was shot is always "interesting".

I'm sure you will enjoy your first trip there and it is, indeed, a contrast to the more "popular" sites on the Western Front.  It is one of those where you will get a good flavour of what it was all about and you can make your own mind up on the "heated debate".  Tanks being ordered through the remnants of High Wood in September 1916 ....

Regards.

Reg

Reg,

yes - you did indeed send me the overlay map and I’ll be using it when I get there.  Thanks! This area is thought provoking for a number of reasons for me...you mention one above, then there’s also the final battle usage of cavalry along with the first of the tank and then the personal aspect of my great grandfather and his brother in battle together (my great grandfather reported his brother’s death back home). Can’t imagine what that must have been like...

cheers,

Dan

11 hours ago, Waterloo Wanderer said:

Can’t imagine what that must have been like...

Dan.

This might give an indication.  Enjoy your trip.

Reg

High Wood contemporary photo.jpg

Edited by Don Regiano

Hi Pete

No, not a microlight, a drone.

Here's one from the other side of the wood.

Kind regards

John

33412894038_700c15b5f0_o.jpg

On 15/02/2019 at 20:52, nigelcave said:

Cathedral (but in fact is not - it only ever was for about sixty years and that was in the late sixteenth and early seventeenth century, IIRC).

Ieper was a dioces from 1559 to 1801 if I'm not mistaken... There is still a bishop of Ieper nowadays (only a title).

Quite. I had thought for a while it was one of Philip II's unpopular creations but rather was a Tridentine one (at least for most of its luife). Needless to say, it was Napoleon who saw it off, albeit under the disguise of a concordat.

It is now used as a titular diocese - i.e. for use either by a suffragan or auxiliary bishop (i.e. one works in a diocese as an assistant to the guy who is actually the (arch)bishop) or for one who does not have a diocese but is a bishop, e.g. a Papal Nuncio.

Whatever, St Martin's is not a cathedral, though it is a former cathedral. What makes a cathedral a cathedral is the episcopal throne of the present incumbent of the diocese - which is Bruges (?).

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2019 at 06:37, Don Regiano said:

Dan.

This might give an indication.  Enjoy your trip.

Reg

High Wood contemporary photo.jpg

Wow - thanks, Reg.  Looks like Clark's trench running lower left to right of the picture...do you know when this photo was taken?

On 19/03/2019 at 16:46, Waterloo Wanderer said:

Wow - thanks, Reg.  Looks like Clark's trench running lower left to right of the picture...do you know when this photo was taken?

Not sure which one you are referring to Dan.  If it's the one running across the bottom, I don't think so, as that runs to the SE corner of High Wood.  Could be in the area of Sutherland or Argyle trench.  I think the light coloured trench above it might be Intermediate trench and to the right of that could be Clarke Trench.  Also, not sure if the numbering at the top gives the date of August 1916.  In fact, I can't even remember where I found the picture - sorry.

However, here's one I took earlier today from opposite the cemetery:

DSC06460.JPG