Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prussian belt buckle

Mr.kogito

Hello guys!

I know that there ale a lot of

topics about belt buckles and its originality, but what would you tell about those ones? Original? Fake?

FAD1C638-D56D-4018-A9BC-236159EFB469.jpeg

8950A08C-F0ED-4012-A288-063BC50B1FE0.jpeg

Both look okay to me the wider one is probably around 55mm wide and is the earlier of the two examples 

Agree the bar on the lower is a replacement, but both are pre-1919, well pre-19

ok, thank for your info. Are there any fake brass buckles ona a market? What are the ”typical” signs of a fake buckle?

what do you thin of this one? (Someone bought previous one before me ;))

8C80D1C2-8E38-489B-A99B-170E29211540.png

A2110031-B38F-4CF3-9CA6-9F43CADC3DD7.png

E7F9DAA5-16BC-48C7-AC4A-4C9F605F29D1.png

12 hours ago, Mr.kogito said:

Are there any fake brass buckles ona a market? What are the ”typical” signs of a fake buckle?

There are reproduction buckles on the market, for the re-enactor community. These transition to fake when someone claims that they are genuine. place one of these reproduction buckles beside an original and the difference is obvious. Is anyone making "reproductions" so close to the original that they are difficult to pick ?  No idea. probably not yet, as the reproductions so far have been coming from the Indian subcontinent and are pretty rough.

Cheers

Ross

Ross

if you look at Kammerbulle he has some exquisite buckles in the correct gauge of metal which are far superior to what you have described as pretty rough from other parts of the world. With a bit of clever aging some may struggle to know the difference.

regards

Hi Dave,

I was not familiar with Kammerbulle. It is a worry when someone starts manufacture at that apparent quality. Does he have them marked at all to prevent them being "aged" and pushed into the collector market?

Simon Laurence of Laurence is local to me. He has had a variety of items (mainly british web, leather and AIF uniforms) manufactured in India. Some aspects of design are simplified to keep cost manageable but a lot of what Simon has had made has the potential to be "repurposed". To counter this, Simon has had everything marked and dated with the actual date of manufacture to make it extremely difficult to use his products in the manufacture of fakes.

Cheers

Ross

Hi Ross

look at the website Kammerbulle, they do very top end reproductions. Not the normal copies which you sometimes see from other manufacturers