Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anybody identify the uniform please?

Alex Gray

HI,

I'm new here, after finding the forum when trying to find out about some distant relations!! I have these photos (sorry the quality id rubbish) from maybe 1910ish?! 

Robert, and Archie appear to wearing military uniform, but on the photo of only Robert, his trews don't seem to be as creased as I'd expect of the Army?! 

In the other photo Archie seems to be wearing a tunic, with an apron underneath? Robert in this photo seems to have crossed rifles on his sleeve!?

Any help identifying the units would be gratefully received..

51538269_387065128746964_1459553264411344896_n.png

52087580_295027811185316_4511666155772968960_n.png

10th April 1915 - Dundee People's Journal    HALL— Private Robert Hall, No. 5757. 1st Battalion Cameron Highlanders; last heard from October 23rd. Posted missing. Inquirer, wife, Mr R. Hall. 27 Pomarium Street. Perth. 

29th May 1915 - Dundee People's Journal   HALL —At 27 Pomarium Street, Perth, May 23d, the wife of Private R. Hall, 1st Cameron Highlanders (missing since October 24th), a son.

11 minutes ago, IPT said:

Was Archie born c1884?

If so, one possible could be S/9003 Archibald Hall, Black Watch. Went to France 20/10/1915. Wounded in 1917.

I'm no uniform boffin, but suspect the apron may be a khaki kilt cover/apron - https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30097669

He was, it seems, born on the 13th Jul 1884, and died in 1928 in a mining accident!! So I's possibly him... Interesting about the kilt apron..never heard of that before.. alhough on the photo there doesn't appear to be a front pocket?!

In the first photo Archie is wearing what is known as a "Simplified" Service Dress jacket. These were only made between late 1914 and early 1915 - the larger unpleated pockets were one of a number of changed to speed up production. It is somewhat unusual to see that it has been modified with the "cut-away" skirts at the front to show off the sporran (if worn) as this practice had been officially prohibited very early on in the war (although widely ignored). He is indeed wearing the khaki kilt apron over his kilt - you can see the flap of the pocket between the rounded edges of the cut-away skirts.

In both photos Robert is wearing the white ‘drill’ jacket that was issued only to highland regiments and the Guards.  The crossed rifles badge shows he qualified as a ‘marksman’ (good shot) and received a penny extra per day for his skill (this benefit was later abolished).  He also has a single good conduct badge (cuff stripe) indicating that at the time he had completed two years of blemish free regular service.  As regards his crumpled trews in the second photo, the practice of ironing a central vertical crease came from America and was not generally adopted by the army until between the World wars.  Most men at the time placed their trousers overnight on a board under their mattress if they wanted to flatten out crumples.  The fact he has no badges in that photo suggests it’s early in his service when he has little experience, perhaps during basic training at the regimental depot.

FCAC388A-3468-4E4F-84EB-705AF9D33319.jpeg

C8ADC44B-B35C-4BF5-9960-303F569579DE.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

In the first photo Archie is wearing what is known as a "Simplified" Service Dress jacket. These were only made between late 1914 and early 1915 - the larger unpleated pockets were one of a number of changed to speed up production. It is somewhat unusual to see that it has been modified with the "cut-away" skirts at the front to show off the sporran (if worn) as this practice had been officially prohibited very early on in the war (although widely ignored). He is indeed wearing the khaki kilt apron over his kilt - you can see the flap of the pocket between the rounded edges of the cut-away skirts.

So does that mean there's no way of identifying a regiment from the uniform he's wearing?

IMHO,  thats a Cameron Highlanders Sporran.he's wearing.

29 minutes ago, Alex Gray said:

Thank you for the info.. Does that mean the annotation on this pic, that he's a LCpl is wrong? 

No - in this form of dress, rank insignia were worn on the upper right arm only and that's not visible here.  The chevron on the lower left arm is a Good Conduct badge.

48 minutes ago, Alex Gray said:

Thank you for the info.. Does that mean the annotation on this pic, that he's a LCpl is wrong? 

No Alex, in the colour picture the badge of rank is on the right upper arm and so out of sight.  Rank badges were worn on both arms on only the khaki service dress.

I think you might have posted in the wrong thread GWF1967?

33 minutes ago, IPT said:

Mr 1967 has had his Friday night Mint Julep and is now distributing his postcards throughout the forum willy-nilly. 

Sorry Chaps - Hic!

46 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think you might have posted in the wrong thread GWF1967?

I fear you are correct ,Sir! 

As you were....

Edited by GWF1967