Remembered Today:

Looking for records for 29739 Pte Bertie Symonds

Hi and welcome

If you have Ancestry access (or via your local library) there is some info HERE

Also on CWGC HERE

I'm sure others will fill more detail soon

regards

Jon

A War Gratuity of £10 11s 10d was paid to his widow, Laura.  There is something odd with that as the shillings should only have been paid in units of 5s or 10s.

The war gratuity can help us date enlistment (it was paid for length of service) but it's not going to be too useful in this case.

Craig

There are a couple of medical records for him on FmP.

One in Feb 1917 states his length of service as 8 months, if I read it correctly. So enlistment about Jun 1916?

1 hour ago, Neil 2242 said:

There are a couple of medical records for him on FmP.

One in Feb 1917 states his length of service as 8 months, if I read it correctly. So enlistment about Jun 1916?

Looks like the service number dates from about June 1916 so that ties in (I did post earlier but it seems to have disappeared).

Craig

• Admin

This is one of those examples I've seen quite a few times before in the SER such that when the apparent Type 1 war gratuity (£10 11s 10d) is added to the remaining credit (£2 8s 2d) it sums to a total (£13) which, when treated as a Type 2 war gratuity, gives the correct predicted enlisted date (Jun 1916).

Regards

Russ

Thanks Russ, I've seen the odd one before but my brain is working backwards at the moment (can't wait to shake off this cold).

It's bizarre as it doesn't fit any of the specified ways of calculating the war gratuity. It's a pity the original calculation sheets no longer survive as I think there was some sort of offsetting going on.

They weren't supposed to reduce the war gratuity to correct for overpayments but I suspect they made up for that by effectively writing off the original overpayment and treating it instead as war gratuity so they then just needed to pay the difference.

Craig