Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform identification

Dave Watson

671353793_PercyWilliamGeorgeHenry0001.jpg.990192e31e010e42caf62b680a0eac58.jpg716133688_PercyWilliamorGeorgeHenry0002.jpg.472333ade46be9867a587ecd5eb03895.jpg

Can anyone please help to identify these uniforms, chevron insignias, and helmet.  I have ancestors who died in France WWI. They were with the East Yorkshire Regiment. The Regimental No. for one of them was 200801. I thought initially these were photos of the two ancestors, but looking at the pith helmet and Hong Kong it seems obvious they were in the Far East. Appreciate if anyone can give some identification.

All the men appear to have gunnery prize badges on their left cuffs.  That fact together with the ankle boots, Slade-Wallace equipment waist belts, and 3-letter shoulder titles indicates that they are gunners of the Royal Garrison Artillery.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The attached photos are two of my ancestors, who were brothers. I know that one of them Gordon Henry Cracknell (born 1890)

• He was in the East Yorkshire Regiment, 1st 4th Battalion, Reg No: 200801, Pte. 2859.

• Died ‘killed in action’ WWI on 27/06/1917 in Flanders/France. Aged 27.

• I have a burial/cremation place: Arras, Department du Pas-de-Calais, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France.

• Cemetery: Arras Memorial at Faubourg-D’ Amiens Cemetery, Arras.

• He has a British War Medal & Victory Medal.

The second brother, Percy William Cracknell (born 1888), I have no military information

Their parents names were William George & Emily Ann Cracknell. The family were from Thorngumbald, Hull, Yorkshire, England.

I first thought that the photos showing them in uniform were of Europe WWI. I am doubtful as to that now because the photo shows a pith helmet and the photos show they were taken in Hong Kong. Maybe the photos were prior to WWI ?

I know that one of them Gordon Henry Cracknell (born 1890)

Where was he born ? There's no Gordon Henry Cracknell recorded in E & W as being born between 1880 and 1895.

image.png.9ff818d558ac7e2b1cb545177ebf80ac.png

The 1901 census shows neither Percy or Gordon with the family

image.png.e37770736403644760d5e98193643fb9.png

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

A bit puzzling Dave, the 1st/4th East York’s were Territorial Force and not permitted to wear the regular soldiers good conduct badge (cuff stripe) until later in the war.  

Unless the other sleeve badges that I mentioned are crossed rifles rather than crossed gun barrels (as I had thought they are), then they seem to be artillery men.

Also the 1st/4th East York’s were never in Hong Kong:

1/4th Battalion
August 1914 : in Londesborough Barracks, Hull.
Part of York and Durham Brigade, Northumbrian Division.
17 April 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
12 May 1915 : formation became 150th Brigade, 50th (Northumbrian) Division.
15 July 1918 : reduced to cadre and transferred to Lines of Communication.
16 August 1918 :transferred to 116th Brigade, 39th Division.
7 November 1918 : demobilised in France.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Gordon Henry Cracknell is recorded as George Henry Cracknell in Soldiers Died. He was apparently born in Hull.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm
place of birth added

#200801 George Cracknell was married to Matilda. It looks like he married Matilda Hepworth in Sculcoates district in 1909. The 1911 census gives George's date of birth as 1890 in Thorngubald.

It appears unlikely that George could have enlisted, served overseas, and been back in home for 1911.

Craig

45 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Findmypast have a death record for Harry Cracknell in Hong Kong in 1898.    https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?lastname=cracknell&keywordsplace=hong kong&keywordsplace_proximity=5  According to the record he was born in 1876.

Regards,

Alf McM

That’s interesting, Alf.  The 1st Bn East Yorks were in Belgaum (India) in 1898 and the 2nd Bn in Tipperary, Ireland.  

5 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

H Yera was active as a photographer in the 1880 and 1890's in Hong Kong - http://www.getty.edu/art/collection/artists/6118/yera-h-chinese-active-hong-kong-1880s-1890s/

Craig

That makes sense Craig.  The 25th (Fortress) Company of the Royal Garrison Artillery was based in Hong Kong.  It was the only gunner unit there and manned by soldiers from several different artillery ‘Divisions’ in Britain.  I think that the men in the photo are from that unit.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks all for your help & info. Have just realized I've made a typo error! Gordon Henry Cracknell should be George Henry. He was born in Patrington/Thorngumbald which is just outside of Hull. Yes you're correct that Percy doesn't show on the 1901 census, only the 1891 & 1911 aged 22. Haven't come across a Harry Cracknell as an ancestor in the family. Yes you're correct that George Henry did marry Matilda.

Now that I'm sure the photos are not related to WWI,  I need now to change tact and see if the photos are of George and Percy's previous generation. Although I've done a thorough search of their father's history, and have all the info, I haven't looked at his military side if he has one. 

Thanks all once again for your help.