Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dorsetshire/RE/RNR query: Sydney Horsford

daggers

Sydney Herbert Horsford appears to have been commissioned in the Dorsetshire Regiment and the National Archives hold a file for him. 

In 1916 the same name appears in a Gazette entry [15 Feb 1916] for the Royal Naval Reserve, 'to be temporary Engineer Sub-Lieutenant'. 

In 1917 the same name appears in a Gazette listing for RFC but I have not been able to look at the earlier page to see the full details. 

A Medal Index Card shows a 2/Lieut, then Lieut, in Water Transport RE, earning a V & BWM 'General & Special List', theatre Mespot 'prior to December 1917'.  He applied for medals from an Ealing address in 1923.

It seems unlikely that two men had the identical names, but equally unlikely that he would serve in all three services.  If any Pal has the time and inclination for a bit of sleuthing I would be glad of help!

Daggers

Edited by daggers

He was commissioned Temp. Engineer Sub Lieutenant RNR on 9 Feb 1916. That commission was terminated five months later on 21 Jul 1916 (no reason given). He served in the paddle minesweeper HMS FAIR MAID.

Edited by horatio2

Thanks for that.  I found him in 1911 as 4th Engineer in a Post Office Telegraph Ship Monarch.  He also earned some MN medal in WW2 but I have not got far with that.  A mixed career!

D

He was removed from the Dorsets 30.9.15 for going awol (Gazette 28.9.15 supp 29311 p9628)

To be Temp Eng Sub-Lt RNR 9.2.16 (Gazette 15.2.1916 issue 29475 p1688)

To be Temp 2Lt with Inland Water Transport 9.2.17 (Gazette 27.2.17 supp 29965 p2102) - mention of RFC later but doesn't relate to him

Thank you for the extra bits.

I don’t know why my last post had part lined through.  I have never knowingly used that bit of gadgetry.

D

I have now found that this officer was not in the RFC, and I hope the moderators might move this thread into Other Great War, where I meant to post it in the first place.

Daggers

Thanks for moving this, Mods.

Edited by daggers