Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt Joseph Spencer Mitchell, 70 Squadron RAF

Bennett

Can anyone provide circumstances of death of the above Airman?

Mitchell was posted to the 70 Sq. on October 1, 1918, but sadly only 5 days later he DOW at 11 CCS due to an aircraft accident near Doullens. I have gathered considerable information on his family and life before the RFC but am looking for details of the accident and which aerodrome near Doullens he was posted to. I had guessed it was in a Strutter 1& 1/2?  Thanks for any guidance

5 hours ago, Bennett said:

Can anyone provide circumstances of death of the above Airman?

Mitchell was posted to the 70 Sq. on October 1, 1918, but sadly only 5 days later he DOW at 11 CCS due to an aircraft accident near Doullens. I have gathered considerable information on his family and life before the RFC but am looking for details of the accident and which aerodrome near Doullens he was posted to. I had guessed it was in a Strutter 1& 1/2?  Thanks for any guidance

Hi

'Airmen Died in the Great War 1914-1918' (DVD-ROM) has 2/Lt Joseph Spencer Mitchell Killed whilst flying with date of death 5 October 1916.  Aircraft type is stated as 1 1/2 Strutter A1918.  He is down as being buried at Gezaincourt.  TSTB II, page 360, also mentions that the engine cut out on take off (5 October 1916).

I hope that is of use.

Mike

He had smashed up Strutter A2986 the previous day during practice

The full casualty report for A1918 says 'crashed near aerodrome due engine failure after takeoff on practice'

Thank you very much Sirs! What you wrote is what I needed. Could I ask you Nieuport what the source and text was for his first crash (A2986) ? Sounds like his flight instruction may have been lacking in various regards. Thanks again  Ralph CFII

No 70 Squadron was based at Fienvillers from 21 May 1916 to 14 December 1916.

I have it that A2986 was 'smashed on landing from practice'.  It was taken to No 2 AD for repair and rejoined the squadron on 31 October 1916, remaining on strength until it went missing on 25 March 1917.  

Graeme

Thank you and my initial mistake on stating 1918 rather than 1916  Ralph