Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt. William Simpson Royal Dublin Fusiliers and Labour Corps

RDubFus

I am researching Sgt. William Simpson, who was a friends Grandfather. I cannot find any Service Records , only index Cards and medal roll. I have found he received the Meritorious Service Medal but cannot find details. 

I wonder also what year he joined the RDF . His reg. no. 6668

The medal Card says :

Awarded the Meritorious Service Medal

Corps: 182 Coy Labour corps

Reg. No. 109014

William Simpson

Date of Gazette: Peace gazette sup.

Registered Paper : 01375618

Schedule No: 281176

It is ink stamped FRANCE.

He was badly effected mentally during the war and then saw his young  Daughter killed by a Tram in Dublin soon after. Sadly ,William was eventually admitted to Grangegorman Mental Hospital where he lived out the rest of his life.  Apparently he talked often about being on Burial detail so I assume  this must have been a part of his Company's duties.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by RDubFus
Grammar

109014 , Labour Corp - Discharged from service 27/04/1919 to 53 New Street, Dublin

Mentions a gunshot wound to right forearm and two initials that look like D A

The above taken from his pension ledger.

R DubFus

Welcome.

His MSM is in the London Gazette 14/10/1919 issue 31602 page 12757. Confirms Sjt (A CSM), 182 Company (Dublin).

Brian

pension.jpg.eb7592082251dfc5baefe7c569bdeaed.jpg

It is worth your while checking the facts

1. I cannot find the death of a young Simpson in Dublin 1915 to 1925

2. I cannot find anything in the press of a young girl being killed

A bit of digging by you may unearth something, or feedback from the family

On 13/02/2019 at 19:16, brianmorris547 said:

R DubFus

Welcome.

His MSM is in the London Gazette 14/10/1919 issue 31602 page 12757. Confirms Sjt (A CSM), 182 Company (Dublin).

Brian

Thank You Brian.

Does it give any reason why he was awarded this medal or is it just part of a list?

No, this issue of the LG was for the MSM only and records the same for all recipients:

In recognition of valuable services rendered with the Armies in France and Flanders.  

Brian

On 12/02/2019 at 21:44, HTSCF Fareham said:

109014 , Labour Corp - Discharged from service 27/04/1919 to 53 New Street, Dublin

Mentions a gunshot wound to right forearm and two initials that look like D A

The above taken from his pension ledger.

Thanks for info. DA  is actually DAH & means Disorderly of the Heart (referred to as effort syndrome or soldiers heart), often the result of stress or fatigue

On 12/02/2019 at 21:47, HTSCF Fareham said:

This may assist with getting an idea of when he enlisted with the RDF

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/06/royal-dublin-fusiliers-1st-2nd.html

I have checked a couple of RDF no.s before and they correspond with the years , but William was born in 1888 so he should be too young to have such a Low no. 6668 unless they had boy soldiers of some kind.

I have not been able to find any Service records so I don't know where he served or when he joined. His occupation at the 1911 census was a Whipmaker. I think he must have had service in RDF before the war in order to have risen to Sergeant.

3 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

No, this issue of the LG was for the MSM only and records the same for all recipients:

In recognition of valuable services rendered with the Armies in France and Flanders.  

Brian

Brian,

I found it. Thats a great. I had spent hours and hours scrolling through various London Gazettes. The family will be very pleased to see this in print.

On 13/02/2019 at 20:43, corisande said:

It is worth your while checking the facts

1. I cannot find the death of a young Simpson in Dublin 1915 to 1925

2. I cannot find anything in the press of a young girl being killed

A bit of digging by you may unearth something, or feedback from the family

Thanks for the help. The family are amendment that the accident with the tram sent him over the edge and he went to Grangegorman thereafter. The date is unclear. i think he had 9 children (but only 1 in 1911 census). he lived a long life. My friend would visit him on sundays with his Dad  and bring him out for a couple of hours , this was in the 1950s. The child who died might have been nellie or Ellen.

Very frustrating not being able to find any Attestment or service records

On 13/02/2019 at 20:29, Jervis said:

There was a book written about the treatment of the Great War veterans in Grangegormon or as it was known then the Richmond asylum. Your friend maybe interested. See link. He lost himself completely

I will track this book down, Thank You.

10 hours ago, RDubFus said:

Brian,

I found it. Thats a great. I had spent hours and hours scrolling through various London Gazettes. The family will be very pleased to see this in print.

I find the easiest way is to search with the service number and the date range up to 31/12/1919.

Brian

• 2 months later...

from 182 LC LC 

Hi Gerard here ,  my grandfather  Patrick Short  109037   served in the 182nd Labour Co. from  1917  to 1919 ,  he was a in  Pte 339  1st Inf. Labour Coy  Royal Irish Regiment before it became the 182nd  Labour Coy. in 1917 . 

In the Glasnevin  Cemetery  records   I found  a  record  of burial  for  Louisa Carroll Simpson  who died 28/04/1919  Age 3  :   Female : Occupation of  Father   Whip Makers Child :  Last Address 53 New Street :  Record  Number S82225 :  Date of Interment 29/04/1919 :   Section     St Pauls   Letter   QB    65.5  :  Glasnevin   :   Religion  Catholic :    The child of William and  Teresa Simpson  :  Cause of  Death  Meningitis   :   The  person who arranged the burial  was William Simpson 53 New St . 

The  diary of  198th Labour Coy   has  details of the tasks , dates  and  locations  where the  182nd  were  operating , burials  was one  of  their  many tasks. 

In the  IWM   I   discovered  the   Private Papers of  the OC of  182nd  LC   Capt A McCormick .  

I have  another project ongoing that is to  research  all  who  served in 182nd  along side my Grandfather  Patrick Short. 

If you would  like  more  information please reply  to the post 

Regards

Gerard 

from 182 LC LC 

Hi Gerard here ,  my grandfather  Patrick Short  109037   served in the 182nd Labour Co. from  1917  to 1919 ,  he was a in  Pte 339  1st Inf. Labour Coy  Royal Irish Regiment before it became the 182nd  Labour Coy. in 1917 . 

In the Glasnevin  Cemetery  records   I found  a  record  of burial  for  Louisa Carroll Simpson  who died 28/04/1919  Age 3  :   Female : Occupation of  Father   Whip Makers Child :  Last Address 53 New Street :  Record  Number S82225 :  Date of Interment 29/04/1919 :   Section     St Pauls   Letter   QB    65.5  :  Glasnevin   :   Religion  Catholic :    The child of William and  Teresa Simpson  :  Cause of  Death  Meningitis   :   The  person who arranged the burial  was William Simpson 53 New St . 

The  diary of  198th Labour Coy   has  details of the tasks , dates  and  locations  where the  182nd  were  operating , burials  was one  of  their  many tasks. 

In the  IWM   I   discovered  the   Private Papers of  the OC of  182nd  LC   Capt A McCormick .  

I have  another project ongoing that is to  research  all  who  served in 182nd  along side my Grandfather  Patrick Short. 

If you would  like  more  information please reply  to the post 

Regards

Gerard 

PS  just  located   a  Death  Cert   for  Louisa Carmel   (   Carroll in  the  Glasnevin  Records )  Simpson    Death   Registered in Dublin South   Apr - May - June  1919   Death Age 2   :  Volume 2   Page  572    In  the  GRO  :   

Well done Gerard on finding the records. Meningitis has been known to occur following head injuries, so it is still consistent with the family recollection.

Hi. If you go to  182LCLC. You can view the war diary for 198 LCLC.   Do you have a DOD for William Simpson .  I will check Private Papers of Capt A McCormick for any reference to William Simpson.  Regards Gerard

I have  located  the  Death  Cert  for   Louisa Carmel  Simpson   and  have attached same

I have a number of  observations to  make  about the details on  her  death cert . 

She died at home  :  53 New Street   :   if  there  was a tram accident  I would have expected to see  the  name of a hospital  mentioned :  

The  cause  of  death  Meningitis  3 days  and  Certified  (  she was seen by a doctor) :

An accident involving tram  would  have given rise  to  a Coroners Inquest   (  and this would be mentioned on a death cert) .

In  Section 26   Page  101   "  Vin Blank"   in the private papers of  Capt  A  McCormick   , he  talks  about  a  Sergeant  Major   (  by rank only)  "an Irishman too"

I will  conduct further research   William  Simpson

Regards

Gerard  

4420526 Death Cert of Louisa Carmel Simpson dublin south Volume 2 Page 572 28Apr1919.pdf